Brad Pitt Claims To Have No Friends

Brad Pitt says he doesn't have — or need — friends, other than Angelina Jolie. We're not so sure he's right about that.

Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt wants to make one thing very clear: He's happy with Angelina Jolie and his family — and he doesn't need outside friends to make things better.

"I have very few friends," the World War Z star told Esquire magazine in a revealing new interview. "I have a handful of close friends and I have my family and I haven't known life to be any happier. I'm making things. I just haven't known life to be any happier."

Oh, burn. We imagine that George Clooney collapsed into sobs when he read that.

All kidding aside, this echoes what Jolie has said in other interviews.

"Well, I have a few girlfriends, I just... I stay at home a lot. I'm just not very social. I don't do a lot with them, and I'm very homebound," she told Marie Claire in 2012. "I talk to Brad... But I don't know, I don't have a lot of friends I talk to. He is really the only person I talk to."

We love how these two are always there for each other — especially now after Jolie's recent double mastectomy — but is it healthy to rely only on your partner for your social needs? We asked Carole Lieberman, M.D., psychiatrist and author of Bad Girls: Why Men Love Them & How Good Girls Can Learn Their Secrets, to give us some insight.

"People have a need for both friends and lovers — not one or the other," Dr. Lieberman told SheKnows.

"It isn't healthy for a married couple to eliminate friends from their lives because one spouse demands the total attention of the other. The demanding spouse is the more narcissistic one, who wants to be the center of the other person's world at all times," Dr. Lieberman continued. "But, this limits both of them and causes their relationship to be more shallow than if they each shared different activities and thoughts with friends, in addition to those they share with each other."

The loss of independence can take a toll on any relationship, even a strong one.

"He claims to be happier than ever, but he may be confusing happiness with being directed by Angelina and not feeling as if he's drifting as much as he used to do," Dr. Lieberman added.

Your takeaway? Regular nights out — sans your fellow — is only healthy. So, plan a girls' night out already — and let your guy plan his own fun night, too.

Tell us

Do you need other friends when you're in a relationship? Sound off in the comments below!

More on celeb relationships

Jessica Alba shares the secret to a happy marriage
4 Love lessons from The Great Gatsby
Online daters want Jennifer Lawrence to join Match.com

Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Why Brad Pitt needs to get some friends, stat"

guest June 12, 2013 | 9:12 AM

These 2 are in a different boat than the common folk. Maybe they don't like going out and getting harassed.

JenniferJustice June 11, 2013 | 11:22 AM

I agree with Dogg. My husband is my best friend. We have friends, but mostly hang out with eachother. I think we both prefer being with only "us" over anybody else. We've been together for 20 years and it's always been that way. I know other couples like this as well and IMHO, these are the couples that stay together. We don't need anybody else. However, if something happens to one of us, the other is going to be forever miserable.

Michelle June 10, 2013 | 3:00 PM

My husband and I have been married for 20 years + the five years before we were married were filled with friends and - strife. We cut out a lot of our friend outings after we were married, not because he or I forced it - it just happened, + we actually have become closer over the years. We don't have kids, so we focus more on each other + our family of cats + dogs. I'd rather be home with him than anywhere else with anybody else + he feels the same. It's pretty cool :-) We are each other's best friend.

Tiff June 06, 2013 | 2:48 PM

What's so controversial about the author's comments? It's great that they're there of each other..

cyber_walking June 06, 2013 | 12:18 PM

Wow, Brad sure doesn't look as good as he used to. This seems to happen with all of them, like Leonardo Di Caprio, and the Baldwin brothers. But to the subject at hand, I've heard other doctors say the same thing as this doctor, and I see the reality in her statement.

dogg June 03, 2013 | 1:04 PM

My wife and I are in love. We love being with each other (18 yrs), and really don't need other friends beyond acquaintances. Our love life is great, and our intellectual life is great.

Jay June 03, 2013 | 12:28 PM

"It's amazing that these two are so supportive of each other-especially after Jolie's recent double mastectomy." Meagan Morris should not be writing a column about any celebrity over 16 years old because that is the level of her own mentality. And, is there an editor around for this site, one who might even be out of high school already?

Veronica May 29, 2013 | 3:09 AM

"It's amazing that these two are so supportive of each other — especially after Jolie's recent double mastectomy" - Really? Was there any thought before writing that comment?