Celeb Quotes
On Gay Marriage

Gay marriage has become a trending topic this week, with the Supreme Court hearing arguments on Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act. As many took to Twitter and Facebook to share their opinions, so did celebrities. Here is what they have to say!

Beyonce

When the Human Rights Campaign made its Red Equals sign, the logo went viral Tuesday morning on all social networks. It was difficult to escape it on Facebook as the red sign continued to catch fire, being used as profile pictures and conversation starters. Beyonce took the color red and ran with it as well. She posted a photo on her Facebook page saying,

"If you like it, you should be able to put a ring on it. We will unite for marriage equality!"

Rascal Flatts

Rascal Flatts

The country band talked about reactions to their song, "Love Who You Love."

"We actually have some gay people that work with us, and we have a lot of friends that are gay, too, and I know that this song has inspired them... I know that coming out was tough on their parents and on them and the whole entire family. For a long time, some of them didn't get to hear 'I love you' from their dads or be accepted in that way. ... It's helped a lot of our friends... We don't judge anybody's lives."

Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart

The television icon also had her own take on the logo and posted a picture of red velvet cake on her Facebook page with the caption,

"Equality is truly sweet."

Kristin Chenoweth

Kristin Chenoweth

The Broadway legend has been vocal about her support for gay marriage as a Christian woman.

"Make no mistake — I am a Christian and I believe in God and I don't believe he makes mistakes, so I believe that being gay is not a sin and in fact it's how you're made."

Carrie Underwood

Carrie Underwood

"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry... I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

Pink

P!nk

"I think that the best day will be when we no longer talk about being gay or straight — it's not a 'gay wedding,' it's just a 'wedding'… It's not a ‘gay marriage,' it's just 'a marriage.' It's not a 'black man' or ‘white woman,' it's just 'a man' and 'a woman,' or 'a human' and 'a human.' I'd just like to get to that."

Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington

"People don't think about the fact that when Barack Obama's parents had him, it was illegal for them to be married in several states in this country. So if we start making it OK that certain people can marry and other people can't, it's a slippery slope of civil rights."

Kirk Cameron

Kirk Cameron

"Marriage was defined by God a long time ago. Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve — one man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don't think anyone else should either. So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't."

Make no mistake — I am a Christian and I believe in God and I don't believe he makes mistakes.

Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway

The Oscar-winning actress spoke out about gay marriage when she accepted an award at a dinner hosted by the Human Rights Campaign.

"There are people who have said that I'm being brave for being openly supportive of gay marriage, gay adoption, basically of gay rights, but with all due respect, I humbly dissent, I'm not being brave, I'm being a decent human being. And I don't think I should receive an award for that or for merely stating what I believe to be true, that love is a human experience not a political statement. However, I acknowledge that sadly we live in a world where not everybody feels the same. My family and I will help the good fight continue until that long awaited moment arrives, when our rights are equal and when the political limits on love have been smashed."

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga

"I feel the denial of gay marriage sends a prejudice message. Our youth deserve a fair and hopeful future with government that values us equally."

More on gay marriage

Christian Carrie Underwood supports gay marriage
Hillary Clinton records video showing support for gay marriage
Carly Rae Jepsen cancels Boy Scouts appearance

Photo credits: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN.com, Nikki Nelson/WENN.com, Joseph Marzullo/WENN.com, Dan Jackman/WENN.com, WENN.com, FayesVision/WENN.com, FayesVision/WENN.com, Rachel Worth/WENN.com, Apega/WENN.com, Anthony Dixon/WENN.com

Watch: How do you talk to your kids about gay marriage

Comments

Comments on "Celebrities speak out on gay marriage"

paulakey January 10, 2014 | 4:07 PM

There are over 100- abominations in Leviticus. How many do you keep?

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 6:27 PM

I do pray that God has mercy on those who truly don't know any better and my previous comments are solely for those who choose to live a lifestyle knowing it's against God's will for mankind but choose to live it anyway.

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 6:18 PM

Oh Ms. Kensington, I somewhat agree with your comment but I must say close to the end of your comment where you say "as followers of Christ, we are not to hate" what Holy Bible are you speaking on? In Luke 16:13, it clearly states that "no servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else e will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Although this particularly speaks about wealth, it lets us know as "followers" of Christ that we can and shall hate what is evil. It says in the same scripture you and I quoted about the homo lifestyle (Leviticus 18:22) how it's an abomination. Well an abomination is something that God HATES! Unlike the "worldly" way of thinking, God is a God of intelligence and all that he does, has done and instructs us to do is out of intelligence such as love of good things. Unlike man, God does not react off emotion, he reacts of intelligence and what's best for his people and his kingdom come.

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 6:05 PM

Even this site is sensitive to the subject-lol. It won't let anyone spell out the word. Guess I'll try ----- and -----. Let's see if this works

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 6:01 PM

Homouals and s just kill yourselves so that my five year old will no longer be confused on why some boys look like girls and kiss boys and why girls look like boys and kiss girls? I beg you, it'll make my job as parent much easier. Appreciate it, if you don't as the word says, the Creator will (Revelation 21:8 "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the ABOMINABLE, murderers, mongers, sorcerers, idolaters and all liars shall have their part in eh lake which burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second DEATH!" "THOU SHALT NOT LIE WITH MANKIND AS WITH WOMANKIND; IT IS ABOMINATION" (Leviticus 18:22) Burn evil Burn!

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 5:47 PM

Uh-Oh had a typo-lol. To rephrase correctly in the middle of my comment, when two men or two women can make a child together as a man and a woman naturally can, I'll support everything about the community but since God is against this lifestyle, I know it'll never happen.

SeekandFind July 06, 2013 | 5:42 PM

So sad how so many opinions are stated but fewer truth. To those who speak on how much the Holy Bible has been tainted with-a lie of the enemy to keep seekers in immediate disbelief in God's word and more belief in themselves as he (the enemy) believes and where did he end up? I do believe that there has been endless attempts to damage and conflict the word of God but no one can erase or taint what they can't see. To all those with so much opinionated conversations about marriage, ask yourself, in the past 24 hours, how much of that time have you given to the Creator? For those honest with themselves, it would more than likely be none but they'll give time to commenting on a spiritual realm that they obviously know nothing about. You can't know who you are or what your created purpose is if you don't know the Creator and as a result, you'll let the world, tell you how to live. As the Holy Bible states, "Men will be lovers of themselves"(2Tim3:2) and how so evidently true. For those who don't believe in the Holy Bible like those in high offices that are sworn in on it but say they don't believe in it, please disregard this message. So many will develop their own interpretation of the Holy Bible or let some repetitious sinner quote the Holy Bible to them versus establishing a relationship with the Creator themselves and allowing him to reveal his truth to them. When homouals and/or s can ually make a child together as a man and a woman naturally can, i'll support everything but since God doesn't approve of them, their unnatural lifestyle and their choice to be , it'll never happen. And to think, some of these selfish beings have the audacity to blame God for their choice. The point of us being created is to choose between two ways to live-in truth or in a lie? In light or in darkness? In good or in evil? Causing God's children to be confused on their identity is a no-no. God/Creator is not a God of confusion. When it's all said and done, we don't have to answer for each others choices. Please God and not yourself, he's more worthy of pleasing than yourself. Homouals and s just kill yourselves so my five year old will stop seeing you walking and ask me "Mommy why she look like a boy" or "Mommy, boys not suppose to wear skirts and kiss boys are they?

Nico July 01, 2013 | 3:45 AM

So if homouals are using love as their foundation for justifying their relationships and that they should be allowed to marry then this argument an also be used for consensual incestuous relationships as well. Yet incest is still considered both illegal AND immoral. Any person who supports marriage but doesn't support consensual incest IS A HYPOCRITE. I am so sick and tired of supporters comparing same- marriage to the civil rights movement. ONE was about the right to be treated as a HUMAN BEING. The other is about justifying UNNATURAL HUMAN BEHAVIOR.

Poet June 26, 2013 | 3:21 PM

Thank you Kirk for not being scared to tell the truth and stick by what you believe in. I'm sorry for the people who don't understand the word of God. Jesus Christ died for our sins. As Christians we are not to judge or hate we are to encourage and be lights to the world. So to support a group of people or something that we know is wrong is the opposite of being a light. The word says that the darkness could not comprehend the light. So to say that the bible was written man is a perfect example of why darkness can not understand the light . The will of GOD is what wrote the bible not men. Just because you became rich didn't mean you had to start becoming ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jenny June 21, 2013 | 8:35 PM

Jamie from the sound of it you are the real unchristian one, Do you really think God loves you more than the s, and do u have lesser sin than them? Look first in the plank of your eyes before others.. and if i look at the bible you should be stoned to death if you are married and not a virgin and you are not allowed to speak in public since you are a woman. Hypocrisy much?

Jamie June 14, 2013 | 7:53 PM

I don't know how Kristin Chenoweth can call herself a "Christian" and still believe in marriage. She says that marriage is of God and that is so not true; open up your Bible sometime Miss. Chenoweth. Also, why is it okay for the GLBT community to be open with their beliefs but when other people talk about how they are against marriage they are bashed? It all just seems a bit one sided to me. Thank you Kurt, for standing up for Christian values.

brad June 14, 2013 | 10:28 AM

I absolutly just love how people state that marriage has always been between a man and a woman! Actually in the very begining of the Christian Church same unions were sanctioned! Did you all know that! People are so ignorant and believe what they are told to believe. Do you really believe the Bible to be the word of GOD people! Do you know how much mulitaltion has been done to the scriptures over the past thousand years!! Use your brains people!!! Oh well I know that I will never be able to have an educated conversation with certain people because they believe in a book that was written by MAN thousands of years ago as a tool to mentally control the masses! Attacks are welcome because I know they are coming! LOL

lionel May 25, 2013 | 9:38 PM

There is a filter about woman/woman marriage and man/man marriage not being able to be called the proper term, but maybe marriage would pass the filter??? A marriage, no matter whom it is between of people of the same gender, or oppposite marriages should not be such a big deal. If people love one another and are not doing real harm to others, they should have the same rights as everyone else who is able to "marry."

Bim May 25, 2013 | 9:08 PM

Chris Ptown - well said except for a couple of typos. I believe you meant to say that a same marriage would not devalue a marriage between a man/woman. People do need to stop using the Bible to oppress people & prevent them from marrying the person they love. It is archaic. Besides who really wrote the Bible? "Man"??? IF you were told God spoke to you and asked you to write the Bible, you may have psych eval performed on you...I am completely in favor of same marriage. Marriage is not a religious institution; it is a legal institution so everyone can be protected equally under the law. Kirk Cameron needs to ponder the fact that a human, who has faults & sins, may have been the author of the Bible....He needs to put himself in someone else's shoes rather than go through life as a close-minded hypocrite/homophobe. People are not trying to redifine marriage. They are just trying to say that the person they love should be able to become their spouse & have ALL of the same benefits/rights as heterouals. What about having legal marriages performed in a court of law and religious marriages only performed in churches, but not be legal????

CHRIS PTOWN May 25, 2013 | 8:46 PM

For all of you that hide behind the Bible to promote hate and prejudice, just because of your fears, to continually oppress people from only wanting the same rights as everyone; the right to marry whom they love - shame on you! The very lame statement that same marriage would lessen or devalue a marriage between a man & woman - is not even logical. Some of you close-minded individuals are afraid that homouals may have longer, healthier marriages & make your marriage pale in comparison [maybe that is what all of you mean by devaluing man/woman marriage:~)]. Live and let love... Get past your fears and let others have all the same rights in marriage!

Lillith May 21, 2013 | 4:23 PM

RE: Kirk Cameron's commentary, specifically, "Marriage....was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve — one man, one woman for life till death do you part."... I could go on ad nauseum about why all people should be allowed to marry whom they love, but other readers have done so already. I do want to add, however, that according to scripture written around the time(s) of the christian bible, Eve was actually Adam's second wife, making him, effectively, divorced.

Ed Nurk May 21, 2013 | 7:05 AM

Go Kirk, way to stand for God and His ways, not ours. Dahlia, you forgot the best verse: "And such were some of you, but you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Kilbride May 18, 2013 | 4:24 PM

There's no way around the fact that its wrong. It goes against nature and the pieces will never fit no mater who says its ok to be . First legalized murder through abortion, now marriage.. I wonder what God is waiting for? If He still loves this country, I hope He stirs up revival, but the lack do interference from the worldwide Church indicates impending doom through judgement. He is just before He is merciful...

LAURA May 10, 2013 | 11:19 AM

Kirk cameron is just another neanderthal that hasn't learned to evolve with the rest of the world. Keep living in the old days and all that will happen is you will get left behind. Worry about your own marriage and single unwed baby makers spending your money.

Shep April 27, 2013 | 10:47 PM

I commend Kirk Cameron for taking a stand. God states that we are set apart. God gave us his instructions in the form of the Holy Bible. Nothing can change that. God understands all of us. He knew was before we were formed in the womb, therefore don't take God's word and twist it to fit your needs. It ain't so....