Toilet paper
Toilet paper wedding dress contest

Cheap chic

In a sense, all wedding dresses are disposable. Unless you plan to pass your gown down to your daughter, granddaughter or great-granddaughter, you'll probably wear your dress once -- and then the back of your closet gets to soak up all the glamour. The brides below took the throwaway concept of a big day dress one step further when they participated in Cheap-Chic-Weddings.com's toilet paper wedding dress contest -- you've gotta see what they came up with!

So what's the story behind this competition? It all started with Cheap-Chic-Weddings.com founder Laura Gawne and her partners Susan Bain and Roxie Radford. The three based the contest on the popular bridal shower game, asking their readers to create wedding gowns using toilet paper, tape and/or glue.

"Creativity," "originality," "beauty" and "the use of toilet paper" were the categories that could net you points in the Eighth Annual Cheap Chic Weddings Toilet Paper Wedding Dress Contest, and the dresses below more than delivered. The contest was sponsored by Charmin and Life In Mobile, Inc., and the winners were announced at the oh-so-appropriate Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Times Square Odditorium in NYC.

Take a look at this art in motion!

First place

First place toilet paper wedding dress

• Grand prize winner: Susan Brennan, 26, of Orchard Lake, MI
  • What she won: $2,012
  • What she used: 10 rolls of Charmin with hot glue, packing tape and needle and thread.
  • About her dress: Susan called her creation "Bohemian Cupcake." "The top portion, including the headpiece has a free-spirited vibe and the bottom looks like delicious frosting! It’s relaxed yet sophisticated and flirty -- the cut out details make it modern."

Second place

second place toilet paper wedding dress

• Second-place winner: Katrina Chalifoux, 50, of Knoxville, TN
  • What she won: $1,000
  • What she used: 28 double rolls of Charmin with medical tape, glue and needle and thread.
  • About her dress: "Katrina loves to make costumes, and her main inspiration for this gown was a lily and the challenge of creating a garden of flowers on the gown."

Third place

Third place toilet paper wedding dress

• Third-place winner: Jennifer Henry, 31, of Las Vegas, NV
  • What she won: $500
  • What she used: 36 rolls of Charmin, packing tape and double-stick tape.
  • About her dress: "Jennifer's dress was inspired by the velvety texture of Charmin tissue and those oh so sweet ribbons of whipped cream from the can!"

More creative wedding ideas

How to make successful wedding DIY projects from Pinterest
Decorating Diva: Easy DIY wedding decor ideas you'll love
DIY paper wedding cone

Comments

Comments on "Toilet paper wedding dresses: Say what?"

Adrianne November 11, 2012 | 7:33 AM

I AGREE TOTALLY!!!!! 3rd place was ROBBED!! that dress should have won first place. She must have come in third because her leggs were TOO dark lol. GREAT DRESS!! NUMBER # 3.

Kenia October 23, 2012 | 9:50 AM

Nice dresses! I loved the third one but I can definitely see why the first one won the grand prize

May October 15, 2012 | 2:29 PM

3rd place is def the winner! the judges must have left their glasses at home!

jenny September 28, 2012 | 5:55 PM

Who were the judge's anyway? First graders? Wow..... that was a super slap in the face to 3rd place! 3rd place rocked it by far hands down the best!!! Even my daughter said so.... she is in the 3rd grade. Lol 3rd should have been 1st for sure, then 2nd should have stayed 2nd.... and I'm not sure what was going on with 1st place because it looked like something from the 80's. I will agree that 80's clothes are back and I wear them.... but not the Wedding dress. 3rd plans was awesome and way more creative!

janet lindsey September 25, 2012 | 8:39 PM

I LOVE ALL THE DRESSES

anne September 25, 2012 | 4:30 PM

i also think the third place should have won 1st place its beautiful

Jennifer September 25, 2012 | 1:51 PM

I agree, the third place dress is amazing and totally should have won. I don't like the winner stylistically, but its still amazing to me all the work that went into these! The makers are definitely talented and if they can do this with toilet paper, what can they do with real fabric?

Lenore September 20, 2012 | 5:00 PM

This is cool. But the third place dress was robbed. It was TOTALLY the best one. I thought the winning dress was actually the most unattractive of the three. It seemed to be the least elegant. Second place was also very nice. But number three? That's some Vera Wang lookin' sh!t right there. Amazing.

Laurel September 20, 2012 | 3:27 PM

Oh my goodness! This is so insane! Way to step up the bridal shower game. It is amazing that these women were able to make such creations. I wonder if anyone actually wore theirs?!

Hannah September 20, 2012 | 1:55 PM

I love the third place dress and totally think that should have won! All the dresses are incredibly detailed and creative. Great job ladies!

Lisa September 20, 2012 | 8:09 AM

Wow! I've never seen anything like this before. Those women sure are incredibly talented! If I didn't know better I would have thought that those were designer wedding dresses, seriously!