The Latest Wedding Dress Trend

Just hold up a minute. Black wedding dresses? We've been fantasizing about fluffy white confections since childhood, so this one is coming as a big surprise!

Vera Wang Fall 2012 Black Wedding dresses

Yep, you read that correctly, ladies. Black wedding dresses. It's all the rage this season... or so some designers want us to believe. One of them? Vera Wang.

That's right, the mother of all wedding dress designers showcased a collection of dark wedding dresses and shocked women everywhere. Vera stopped by The View last week to discuss the collection and spoke of her inspiration for the line: “This was the first time I could explore a longtime fantasy of translating all the white and ivory dresses I have done for so many years and working within an underwear palette, mainly black and white. So it was a big step on the wild side for me.”

The fall 2012 wedding collection includes some stunning black-nude gowns and a few all-black numbers that all stray from the traditional white wedding visions we're used to. This is hardly the first report of black wedding dresses, though. In case you forgot, Sarah Jessica Parker famously sported a black gown to her wedding years ago!

And sure, wedding dress trends come and go and you're free to call us old fashioned, but we think we'd like to keep up the white wedding dress tradition.

We want to know

Would you wear a black wedding dress?

More wedding dress trends

Top tips for finding your perfect wedding dress
Spring / summer 2012 wedding dress trends
Say yes to the dress: Find your perfect wedding dress

Comments

Comments on "Would you wear a black wedding dress?"

Samantha July 01, 2013 | 5:08 PM

Absolutely. I debated it for a long time... I even purchases an off-white dress. The next day... got my money back. I always wear black and anyone who knows me well enough will not be surprised, in the least, when I walk in with a black dress on.

olive December 13, 2012 | 2:06 PM

My fiance and I are very excited to get married, and we decided to go classic black and white. He'll be wearing white and I will be wearing black. :) I've always wanted to wear a black gown and i couldn't be more happy to wear mine

Miyoko September 24, 2012 | 12:06 PM

Yep! I plan on wearing a gorgeous black wedding dress (not gothic) and cannot wait until I walk down the aisle in it ;-)

Shantell July 12, 2012 | 11:41 AM

Yes,I would wear a black wedding dress. I'm not skinny or fat, I'm somewhere in between and if a black wedding dress makes me look smaller, YES I would.

Shannon June 22, 2012 | 3:58 PM

Wow, the dresses are gorgeous!! I agree that white is traditional, but that also white signifies purity and being a virgin. This is most likely not the case for most brides. Granted, white is still traditional. I think you should do what makes YOU happy on your wedding day. If you want to wear jeans and a Tshirt, do it!

Sophie May 03, 2012 | 5:27 PM

These gowns are stunning! To each her own but I personally feel that there is something very romantic about the traditional white gown. Every girl has a view of how her own wedding should be- unique and reflective of her personal style and personality. For the bold bride different color gowns, including black, can add a flair and style all her own. It would certainly be something that everyone would remember! For my special day I'm going to opt for the classic white- to keep in line with more more fairy tale theme.

Emma April 19, 2012 | 11:26 AM

I agree, fishbourne. If it's not about tradition anymore (at least if we're not honoring the tradition) then why not wear black or yellow or brown?

Vesper April 16, 2012 | 3:12 PM

I wore a black dress when I got married 21 years ago

Storm, the Psychotic Housewife April 11, 2012 | 2:20 PM

I wore a black dress when I was married six years ago, and I'd definitely do it again! I love each of the dresses above, especially the one on the left!

fishbourne April 11, 2012 | 8:23 AM

Why not. It's time to get away from white. White is suppose to be for virgins I'm tired of pregnant women, or women who have been married , or around the block wearing white. If proper etiquette is no longer being followed why not wear white

Ellen April 10, 2012 | 8:32 PM

These gowns are gorgeous! & i certainly would wear a black wedding dres to my next wedding!

Alisa April 10, 2012 | 8:06 PM

Yes I would wear a black wedding dress, and I did just this past August(2011)

Sherrie18 April 10, 2012 | 4:29 PM

These are GORGEOUS! (And congrats to you, Sandi!) What a beautiful trend! I don't know if I could have worn black for my wedding, but they really are done in a classy way.

sandi April 10, 2012 | 4:08 PM

yes i would and did wear a beautiful black dress for my beautiful wedding on March 17th!! love the trend!