Try Dating Shorter Men

Hunting for Mr. Right? Look high and low — but especially low. Celebrity fashion stylist Alan Au, client relations manager at the clothing boutique Jimmy Au's For Men 5'8" and Under in Beverly Hills, has dressed short-but-sweet stars from Mark Wahlberg to Michael J. Fox. In a revealing Q&A, he told us why a pint-sized guy might just be your ideal boyfriend.

Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise height difference

Why shouldn't women overlook shorter guys as future partners?

"Considering lifelong companionship, shorter guys may be the better choice. If it holds true that shorter men don't have as many dating opportunities, if nothing else, I think shorter men would try harder to be funny, caring, empathetic, honest, hardworking — and just be a gentleman. In that case, the rationale might be that they are more loyal. A taller man might see himself as being able to get a girl whenever he wants and may be more likely to stray. Short, average and tall women seem to mostly prefer taller men, but one must consider what type of intimacy is important to the individual woman. Perhaps she enjoys cuddling and nuzzling, and height would play a role in that."

"Plus, a healthy 160-pound, 5-foot-5 man is going to be a stronger protector than a healthy 160-pound, 5-foot-11 man. It's been well documented, pound for pound, shorter men have greater endurance, stronger muscles, faster reaction times, faster body movement and are less likely to break bones. Shorter men live longer. Shorter men have lower incidences of cardiovascular disease when comparing taller men with the same health conditions."

If you're out on a date with a shorter man, do you have to wear flats so you won't tower over him?

"Towering may be an issue if she were already taller than him, but I don't think you should judge, especially on a first date, that it might even be an issue. I know all too well that heels do make women taller, but more importantly I know it makes your legs shapelier. We love beautiful legs as much as the next guy. I don't believe that would be an issue for a shorter man. I've always dated taller women, and I've never had an issue with my dates wearing heels. I think women should dress like they normally would for a date. I think if after dating a while they notice it may be an issue, perhaps as a token of consideration they could wear flats."

Any other dos and don'ts for going out with a shorter guy?

"I think the issue with dating a shorter man has more to do with other taller men. When a shorter man appears with a taller date, some taller men somehow tend to think she's open for stealing away. I've seen taller men rudely strike up a conversation with someone's date just because he was shorter. It would be respectful to ignore such jerks."

If a gal has a short boyfriend or husband and is trying to make over his style, what key wardrobe pieces would you suggest she pick out for him?

"The key isn't about the pieces but about the style and fit of those pieces. Most short men wear their clothes too big, though [that's] partially not their fault because of the lack of options. The most important key is choosing styles that are proportioned well and flatter a shorter proportion. Some styles were never meant for shorter men, for example: baggy jeans, boxy suits, large pockets, tall collars, wide ties, etc. Every season there are multiple fashion trends. Steer clear of those that aren't flattering to him."

"Second, if something is a little off, go to a good tailor and have lengths and fullness corrected to fit his body. Third, choose patterns that flatter his height and girth. Stripes tend to give the illusion of height. The wider you are, the wider the stripe. Plaids and checks need to be small or subdued so as not to overpower your entire body. Whether monochromatic or contrasting, try to keep lighter and brighter colors up to keep the attention near his face rather than toward his feet."

"Lastly, if you are going to make over his style, make sure he likes it enough to own it. Confidence can make anything look better."

For more information on Jimmy Au's, check out the store's website here.

More dating tips

5 Ways to scare a guy
Top 5 turn-offs for guys
Things women do that men hate

Photo credit: Daniel Deme / WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Why short guys rule"

Melanie February 21, 2014 | 1:16 PM

I'm a 5'10" average build woman married to a slender built guy only 5' tall. I said I would never date shorter guy much less marry one...until I met Manny. He captured my heart but it wasn't easy because I just could not get over looking down at him. But overtime I did come to realize just how much I cared about him. I loved his sense of humor, his laid back personality, his helping me out on things, always doing things for me. When he had a small health scare over 22 yrs back that's when it kicked on how much he needed me and me him. I took over and literally became his nurse and nursed him back to health. True, I see the looks we get from people because of our height, age and racial differences but we don't care. And yes, my motherly instincts take over when there's something he should not be doing that could cause him harm. I can proudly say that he does listen to me since I can be very persausive when I have to...;-) Nevertheless 22 yrs later he's now 67 and I'm 44 but he's still my "little" guy as I like to call him. He's in excellent health and so am I...as we're still doing well in the bedroom. Also he's hispanic and I'm anglo. The moral of the story is do not judge a man on either his height or age or racial background.

Johnny February 04, 2014 | 11:25 AM

Life is a bit tougher when you are below average height, but you can still succeed in life if you try hard. With women it helps if you have good looks and self confidence. Then height becomes secondary. Of course there are always some women who only like taller men, but not all men like large women either.

joe December 12, 2013 | 8:28 PM

I'm just under 5'6 and I have the hardest time finding anyone.

Caitylin October 28, 2013 | 3:05 AM

I am fairly younger than most people in the comments and I have a younger perspective. I am still in high school and I found this article when I was going out with a boy who is fairly short and im a tall girl to begin with. At this age, I never wanted to be interested in a guy who was shorter than me because I felt like it would make everything super awkward but now that I've been with someone shorter than me, I found out that everything is the same and it never really impacted me and now im with another shorty and I like him all the same :)

THE UNCROWNED PRINCE OF WALES September 13, 2013 | 7:13 AM

This article obviously was written to make short-buttocked men feel better about their obvious limitations. Tom Cruise, in the main photo, is obviously used to and has been able to convince himself over the years, especially at the beginning, with the aid of the then naive, gorgeous Kidman, that his height deformity would not stint his ability to progress successfully in the artificial, plastic world of Hollywood's filmland. As my old Jewish- Canadian friend, now deceased used to say, "I've got news for you," CRUISE.We can only surmise to what degenerate depths you have had to sink to, in order to gain your unmerited success.On the other hand, perchance your hidden physical endowments, surprisingly,may yet surprise us all.

AM August 21, 2013 | 1:27 AM

I'm 5'6" and my girlfriend is 6' and she's a fashion model working for an agency in a large city. I've always felt self-conscious about my appearance in general, but somehow we've been in love for over 3 years now. She wears very high heels when we go out because she feels more beautiful and I'd have to agree. Still hard to deal with the looks people give us when we hold hands or kiss.

Damien July 21, 2013 | 2:59 PM

I have always been attracted to women who are taller than I am. I'm 5'8 and hope that someday I'd end up with someone who's considerably taller than that. :) A 6 feet tall woman would be ideal for me.

J Chennault June 17, 2013 | 9:15 AM

Short guys weighing 160 pounds is unhealthy. Also, consider how much it costs to feed a tall guy; tack that on to your grocery bill. Normally, a shorter guy will weigh less, be more efficient, and have all the same benefits as in the article. Don't overfeed them. Its not healthy.

Marj June 10, 2013 | 8:48 PM

My boyfriend is 5'3" and I'm 5'5"...he's so charming, cute, hardworking and gentlemen. He treats me like a queen..I reject him once, it's not about his height, it's because im really scared to have a relationship with a guy if im not finishing my college.... however, he's waiting for 5 months....i realize that I never meet a suitor like him until I fell in love with him so I answered him a yes....my Friends expected me that my bf is tall...but once they know him... they think there's nothing wrong for having a relation ship with a short guy ;)height doesn't matter as long you love each other :) now I'm graduating student...so excited to work and build a good plans for our future :D

Marj June 10, 2013 | 8:37 PM

harris johnston April 27, 2013 | 1:05 PM

I cant believe some of these women that say that they wouldnt date a short guy because.... Short guys arent all the same we do have different personalities.There may be a few that go round with a chip on their shoulder.I am 45 now and i have always been short i got used to it when i was 10.I always stood out in my class i was the shortest boy and on a par with alot of girls.At high school it was quite a bad time for me i was always picked on and called names the taller boys were always sticking my coat and bag on the door frame.Knowing i couldnt reach it and people laughing.My adult height when i left school was 4'10.I found some decent jobs and in the end ended up with my own business.In fact 2 men from my class actually work for me and we are all friends now

Cassie January 04, 2013 | 8:32 AM

Tom Cruise is better than those tall jerks. Short guys rule!

Shenile December 09, 2012 | 11:53 PM

I'm a 5'10 woman, and I'm completely attracted to short guys. Height has never been an issue for me. Most of the guys I've liked were shorter than me. I think that may be my preference. Height's only a problem if you make it a problem.

justin rossell November 28, 2012 | 1:30 PM

I dont think that height should be a problem for people.I have made the most of my lack of height and made up for it in different ways.Okay it took me longer to find the right person but it is no problem now.I have been married for 25 years now and i appreciate my height i may only be 5'0 and my wife is 5'4.I have never let her not wear the shoes she prefers so when we go out it is her call.She has some that are high so she can end up between 5'6 and 5'8.I wear shoes that have a slight heel maybe 2 inches.We have a son who is only 5'3 and a daughter who is my height.It evens itself out in the end when you are laying down so dont worry.

Tina August 21, 2012 | 8:57 AM

This was a good article. A few of my close friends are in relationships with shorter men. I don't see anything wrong with this. If you love someone, you see past their "flaws" - if you want to call it that. Ya, you may wish he was taller...but don't we all "wish" there was something different about our man?

Michael Byron Anderson August 16, 2012 | 1:37 PM

I dont think it really matter how tall people are someone would still try to find something else to pick on people.With height it is easy to spot when people are different.Has short like to say we get the brunt of the torment.The name calling teasing and jokes.I think the for a man it is 10 times worse when they are short only because women can handle it better.I remember my first date with a woman she was 5'4 and i was 5'2.I didnt think there was that much different in our height till she turned up wearing 4 inch heels.It was then an issue and at the end of the night i was politely told it wont work out.Then another time there was a women 4'10 she wore heels and she was bang on my height.The same there she said she was after someone taller.I found a woman who accepted my lack of height she is 5'7 and she never wears heels.At the beginning Janice took a while to get used to it.Only because of others pointing out how short i was.She said she felt quite sorry for me and that she thought i needed mothering.It was annoying from the start off she was all with the cute names and now completely different.So it has worked out okay for me.

Kirsty Hardy August 16, 2012 | 10:35 AM

I dont know what the problem is with women not wanting to date a short man.I have been married for 30 years now and my husband is 5'2 and i am 5'7.We have never had a problem i just dont wear heels when i am with him and we are out.Our 2 sons both take after me and they are 5'9 and 5'8.Our 2 daughters take after their dad and they are 5'3 and 5'2.Our daughters dont mind being short has it's never bothered them.I have noticed that since the last 10 years he doesnt seem has tall has he was.I know because when barefooted i knew exactly where he came to when we were close.So by chance i got him to measure his height and with us being 50 he has now lost an inch.Georgina is abit taller than her dad now.We are all good together though

Marcus Livingstone August 16, 2012 | 10:14 AM

I think it is the same for all short guys we dont really stand much of a chance in dating sometimes.When i am out with my friends now we are all 25 years old and our heights range from 5'0 to 6'2.With me being the shortest one there.The nearest to my height is 5'6 so when we are all talking and standing up alot of the time it just goes over my head.If we are in a bar i would rather sit down for a while has talking to Tom is a nightmare he is the tallest.I have tried the shoes with lifts in them they are too incomfortable to wear.I also took alot of stick when out with them.So my shoes usually just have about 2 inches on them.If i am talking to a woman at the bar it is okay till i stand up.I made a big mistake talking to a woman and i asked her for a dance she said okay.I got off the stool and i came up to her chest.My friends were laughing their heads off.She still managed the dance but i didnt see her after that.I would have thought that being short we might stand a chance with a short women no it doesnt work that way.I met a women at work and we were dating for a year she was 5'7.Which to me didnt bother me.To her friends and family it bothered them more.So it didnt last.I am with a woman at this time and she is 5'3.So far everything is good and working out okay

Sonny July 10, 2012 | 7:06 AM

I wish more women would read this, it's soo true in my case anyway

Mitchell April 23, 2012 | 2:15 PM

This 5'6 guy loves tall women! They are amazing with their long legs and long strides! It's just too bad that lots of them hate short guys just as much as the short ladies do. Most of the time, they all compete for the tall guys' attention. I have no problems dating or being in a relationships with a tall lady who's well over 6'0 feet. On the rarest of occasions I've been lucky to meet lovely tall women who prefer dating shorter guys to taller guys. I know it sounds odd, but they do exist. In very small numbers that is. One thing I've learned over the years in dating, if a tall woman's got problems with my height or she feels like a giant standing next to me, she's not worth pursuing.