10 Guy phrases decoded

What He Really Means

Remember all that Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus talk? Sometimes the language barrier between men and women really does make it look like we’re from different planets. Luckily we’ve decoded 10 of our common guy phrases, in preparation for the next time you find yourselves overwhelmed by our (ah-hem) gentlemanly dialect.

Man lying to girlfriend

1"I'm not looking for a relationship right now"

In other words, he's looking for a one-night stand. If he says this to you and you remain interested, he'll assume you are down for casual sex.

2"My wife and I are essentially divorced"

The guy isn't happy in his marriage but doesn't plan to leave his wife unless he has a new girl lined up and ready to go.

3"You're a great friend"

No guy wants to be friend-zoned by a lady he's attracted to. If he starts talking about being friends before you ever mentioned it, he has no romantic interest in you. Sorry.

4"The economy is horrible"

While that may be true, blaming the economy early on in a relationship is his way to tell you that he's unemployed and isn't too interested in finding a job anytime soon.

5"I'm a virgin by choice"

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, a "virgin by choice" is actually a guy who is so socially awkward that he's never had a girl give him a second glance.

6"I'm About 5-foot-9"

If a guy tells this to you, he's actually 5-foot-6... with shoes on. Guys have a bad habit of adding a couple inches to their true dimensions, as I'm sure you've noticed.

7"I love you"

The translation for this one is conditional. If he says it in an attempt to get lucky (or while getting lucky), it means nothing. But if all clothes are on, it means he loves you.

8"I'm sorry"

He's truly sorry or he's run out of steam and doesn't want to argue anymore. Either way, please accept the apology and wrap up the argument. Thank you in advance.

9"I need space"

You're suffocating him! Give the guy a break and let him go have some fun on his own. While he's at it, go out and do some of the things you liked to do back before you met him.

10"Can we still be friends?"

Can we still have sex sometimes?

Watch: Is he listening to you?

Relationship therapist, Dr. Sheri Meyers shares telltale body-language signs that your partner is NOT listening to you.

More about relationships

Your man's texts decoded
What to say when: He finally calls
5 Things he wants you to know about him (but won't say)

Comments

Comments on "10 Guy phrases decoded"

lhdal April 30, 2013 | 4:56 PM

Wow time has changed. Men are also subjected to ist bigotry. Most of the stuff written here are wrong. (height for example is true but women are also not honest about height and weight) For example how can someone be more honest than telling "I'm not looking for a relationship"? If you are looking for then the guy is not right for you. Would you prefer him telling you I'm looking for marriage and then dump you after a couple of weeks? If you ladies would like to take these into account believe me you'll have to be enemies with men. If that's your intention go on but the author of this article seems either in a pursuit of something radical or either a inexperienced or opinionated

Emily March 08, 2013 | 4:55 PM

Yikes! I can't believe some men would say these things - I'm essentially divorced! Blah!

Lee Barnett February 15, 2013 | 1:56 AM

These are correct. People use languistic reflectors and deflectors the same, no matter race, culture, language, or backround. While most don't agree, no one likes their secrets nonlinear, do they?

Matt February 08, 2013 | 8:09 AM

I completely disagree with #5, i know a $hit ton of dudes that are virgins by choice. Either for moral or religious reasons. It isn't common, but 99% is unfair.

lola January 14, 2013 | 8:16 PM

well this was totally useless. it's all just common sense. duh.

Sparky November 30, 2012 | 8:36 PM

Face it, folks. The author here is not a simpleton, nor is he or she crazy. I'm older than most of you respondents, laid end-to-end; take my word. I can assure you that the ladies don't get "older" - - just better. Inner beauty counts as well as the layers of makeup, believe it. I like to quote Shakespeare when I listen to - know-it-alls. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio- than are dreamt of in your philosophy". Enjoy life, children, and count on being there when you want it.

Quin October 05, 2012 | 5:15 PM

These are a bit comical. Some I agree with, while others are just there for the laugh. I'm one of those guys whose never gotten the time of day from a woman, however, I freely admit it. The last time I used number 5 was when I was 15 years old (maybe).

Kickshaw September 17, 2012 | 1:11 PM

Straight up bull on half of these, the opinion and perspective of one person to describe the entire gender. It's about how you're brought up, taught how to approach multiple aspects of life, and formulate the communication in the mind before it's spoken. No two mean are going to mean exactly the same things using exactly the same phrases; and no two women are going to perceive them the same. That being said, no two relationships are the same, and these 10 phrases will never mean the same things to it.

Guest September 09, 2012 | 5:02 PM

This all seems common sense. Straightforward.

Andrew August 08, 2012 | 3:36 AM

Ah, the 21st century...where degrading males is a ok!

Shannon July 02, 2012 | 4:03 PM

I agree that this is a little harsh. My now husband and I started out as friends and made it clear to our friends that we were just friends. Really, that's all we were! Though I do agree with some of these sayings, I like to give guys the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not lying.

Ben May 07, 2012 | 11:44 AM

Guys can be virgins by choice and not be socially awkward or repulsive to women. I think it's something that should be true for more men and women alike. I choose to be a virgin, not because I haven't had the opportunities, but because I want my future wife to know I have only been with her and she meant that much to me before I even knew her to save that part of myself.

Emma May 07, 2012 | 11:41 AM

I totally agree Megalo, what a negative approach to decoding men. Guys can be jerks, but so can women! We are no better really in our casual approach to dating men. We need to raise our standards so this type of behavior stops. And Barb, 7-9 months is a long time! You deserve better!!

barb October 22, 2011 | 4:39 PM

why is it that a man pushes you away while dealing with health issuses please help me. we go at times 7 t0 9 months withou see or talking. what do you think

Megalo October 09, 2011 | 8:17 PM

I assume you're at least partially joking. Maybe the article should be called "10 Phrases Decoded." ;)

jean October 09, 2011 | 8:32 AM