Leave These
Guys Alone

You’ll meet many guys on your path to finding the one who's right for you, but you should avoid a few types at all cost. They might start out as perfectly decent men while they’re trying to get your attention, but once they show their true colors, you may want to head for the hills. Here are a few of the worst offenders.

Lazy man on bed

1The mooch

This is the guy who never seems to go anywhere with his wallet after he takes you out once or twice. Whether you're taking in a movie, going out for dinner or just grabbing a slice of pizza, he will always plead poor and ask you to pay.

Paying for some things is OK, but if you're with a guy who never has any money (or just has an aversion to spending his own), get out while you can -- or at least before you go broke.

2The lazy slob

This guy may charm you at first with his ambitions and list of projects that he plans, but that will get old fast once you notice that all he ever seems to do is play video games and order takeout. If he never has anything new to report in terms of job hunting or physical activity of any kind, and he always has stains on his clothing, move on or risk becoming his mother.

The lazy slob has no motivation or intention of ever getting a real job.

3Guys to avoidThe overachiever

The complete opposite to the lazy slob is the type A overachiever. While this guy looks great on paper (good job, six-figure income, sweet condo), he will never be around to hang out with you. When he is around, he will talk only about work. He'll sweep you off your feet with expensive dinners and lavish gifts, but as soon as things get serious, he'll go back to focusing solely on his career.

Do you really want a guy who pays more attention to his stocks than to you? We didn't think so.

4The big kid

Some guys never seem to grow up. As charming as they seem at first, dating someone who is immature can be frustrating. All he wants to do is have fun, which is great (he's adventurous and has great date ideas), but when you settle down and move in together, he'll never want to talk about "boring" things like finances, rent and chores.

If you're looking for long-term love, the big kid is not your go-to guy.

More on men

Is he date-worthy or dump-worthy? Find out!
1o Signs he's not "The One" >>

Understanding the dude

SheKnows hit the streets to find out what you've always wondered about men -- and give you the scoop on a few secrets he'll never tell.

More dating advice

How to end an office romance
Fun ways to deal with dating disasters
4 Signs your ex wants you back

Comments

Comments on "4 Guys you don't need in your life"

SchulzEricT April 11, 2013 | 12:57 AM

Really, guys? How can you read this and be offended? It takes a type of man that may seem attractive to women, and lays out his drawbacks: Big Kid is fun, but not responsible. Seems fair to want both, doesn't it? Is it really wanting *everything* to want those two qualities? Overachiever is mature, ambitious, and has money and a good job... but he's too ambitious to pay enough attention to his girl. Yeah, how dare women want attention? Unbelievably selfish. Okay, I don't really get the initial draw for the moocher and lazy slob; I guess moocher isn't obviously a moocher, at first. And, of course cheater wasn't on here, but a cheater isn't exactly a type of guy, not in the same way those four are. If you read this and get mad, thinking women want everything, I'm pretty sure that means you need to be a better, more well-rounded guy. When I read about certain, good qualities women look for, most of the time I think I have it, and the times I don't, I think about how I need to improve. Getting mad doesn't seem very productive. I read things like this because I think it's good to know what women think and want, while realizing that no article will apply to all women. Why come here if you're just going to get mad at what women are looking for in a guy?

bob April 08, 2013 | 10:39 AM

Oh phooey! Women always want what they don't have. He works hard and has no time for me, me, me, me, me,.......selfish! He does not work hard enough, bla, bla, bla,.....if you want to make 6 figures no one is stopping you. Sounds like a lot of people do not know how to love, period!

Cherry April 05, 2013 | 12:30 AM

I agree with this. From experience, I've seen that I had trouble with guys like this. I would turn the other way if it happened, and if it were a constant trait of his, I thought that maybe I could change him. It only works if HE realizes it's wrong, and he decides to change himself. Otherwise, it's not going to work. As for the "Big Kid", I find that cute.. just not all the time. I need a man, a lover, and an adult all in one- not the lack thereof.

Denyse January 22, 2013 | 8:30 PM

You spend 4 fabulous fun filled days together...click on every level..The next day you get a text saying"I want to tell you something and I don't want you to take it the wrong way, or to hurt your feelings," I think you should loose 35 pounds! A huge no no....you never tell a woman she needs to loose weight especially if the amount is alot higher then what she really needs to loose...Rude...Shallow....No one needs a man like this in their life! NEXT

anon January 20, 2013 | 11:31 AM

this is such generalizing bs, you could make the same lists about women , you ain`t helping anybody with a list if somebody doesn`t fit then don`t date them it`s that simple nobody is perfect

Sandy January 09, 2013 | 12:11 PM

And I really don't understand the point of finding fault with an overachiever. Isn't being with an overachiever a hell of a lot better than being with someone who lacks goals and ambition?

Sandy January 09, 2013 | 12:08 PM

I just ended a relationship with a guy who was a cross between Lazy Slob & Big Kid.

Rita Long January 03, 2013 | 7:16 AM

@Paul You pretty much failed in that comment. Did you not see the post in this blog that stated that overachievers are bad, too and not just the underachiever? Guys like you, anon, and JP are sad in a funny way: there is no way that the world (or relationships) can work in a gray area for you. Is he rich? Then she must be the stay-at-home mother who mooches off his money. Is she the one making the money? Then he's the whipped boy too lazy to find work. Women are just simply trying to find balance in life, but screwballs like yourself have to make extremes, to keep a sick power struggle going where it isn't needed. @Sue Agree

Jane November 07, 2012 | 6:21 AM

I agree on avoiding the overachiever. I am a high achiever myself and value work/goal oriented men. I avoid mooches like the plague. However, I most recently dated a man who went from being a normal high achiever to an overachiever...and the relationship soured. He no longer had time for me, spent more time schmoozing with new colleagues (never other women) to advance himself. He stopped fulfilling promises, began breaking commitments to me because work intervened. His life became all about him. The man I knew and loved transitioned from sweet, humble, loving, responsible to arrogant, narcissistic, insufferably rude, selfish, etc. upon becoming a hyper achiever. Even though I respected his achievements, his behavior and new attitudes killed my love for him. You can be a high achiever -- but the key is to have balance in your life. If the man is all about himself and getting ahead, count on having a relationship devoid on love, closeness, intmacy.

Anne October 24, 2012 | 3:34 AM

I don't mind overachievers. He can be a good motivation factor for me to improve myself career-wise. Just as long as he doesn't verbally or physically put me down, I'm all for dating one!

jewels October 20, 2012 | 2:08 PM

I have to say that an over achiever isn't a deal breaker for me. I also think that an over achiever who decides to be lazy on his off days is fine as well. I don't rely on a man for money, I make my own. So long as he makes his own and doesn't drain my bank account I don't care if he wants to relax on the weekends. There is a happy medium to everything. In general I think it is wise to avoid dating people at extreme polls of any behavior.

JP another guy July 05, 2012 | 11:31 PM

Paul, agreed. Its sad but this is what we have in regards to women.

Erica July 05, 2012 | 10:11 AM

Not to mention The Ex... once they're out of your life, they should stay there!

Tom July 03, 2012 | 9:41 PM

One of these is not like the others. The mooch, slob, and "big kid" are all losers. The overachiever is not.

Wayne Frese June 05, 2012 | 7:00 PM

I hate men who try to be somebody they aren't. Unfortunately,they exist in our society and they're a pain where it hurts the most!!! Why women get taken in by these phonies is beyond me. Unfortunately,there are women who do the same thing with men. To me,they are their own worst enemies. Being pretentious is not good at all. I'm all for climbing the social scale,but only with diligence and a hard work attitude. Don't get me wrong,I'm not a right winger nor do I want to be. But I'm a believer in diligence and I shun phonieness and despise liars and thieves.

Anon April 20, 2012 | 4:19 PM

Typical female whining. Don't go after the underachiever... but the overachiever is equally bad. Er... have fun finding a male that is *perfectly* a nonunder, nonoverachiever.

paul: a man. April 19, 2012 | 9:05 PM

One and Two could really be rolled into one (and called the Big Teenager). So I guess women want an a-type overachiever ($$$) who is also kind of fun and lazy? And then she can be the mooch? Men should avoid women who rely on blogs for relationship advice.

Cindy Lawson April 08, 2012 | 9:20 AM

What happen to those unfaithful guys? If you wanna compare these 4 types with those players/cheaters, I rather choose any of these 4..

Sue April 07, 2012 | 9:34 AM

Never date a disrespectful man who is not sincere and is a liar.