Destination Wedding To-Dos
You've probably already seen time lines for a local wedding. If not, we have one at OneWed.com. Most of the tasks on the list can apply to a destination wedding as well, but destination weddings have their own special requirements. Here's the breakdown!
12 months to go
- Decide on your budget
- Set up your wedding pre-party at weddingpreparty.com
- With a destination wedding, it's extra important to get the excitement started.
- Read sites like OneWed.com for inspiration and start an inspiration wedding binder
- Make sure your passports are current; if not, get them renewed
- Research wedding destinations including weather and accommodations
- Create a guest list and gather addresses
11months to go
- Choose your destination
- Research wedding laws in the destination country
- Hire a local wedding coordinator
- Check sites like OneWed.com for reviews and ratings. The less familiar you are with the location, language, and customs of your chosen destination, the more important it is to hire a coordinator.
- Send out save-the-dates
- For destination weddings, it's extra important to give people advance notice.
9 months to go
- Make hotel reservations for the wedding party
- Make travel arrangements for yourself
- Encourage your wedding party and other essential guests to make travel arrangements and gather passports and other travel documents
- Research and make arrangements for destination activities for the wedding party
8 months to go
- Create your wedding gift registry
- Choose invitations and stationary
- Order your wedding dress
- Make sure to let the bridal salon know that you are having a destination wedding; they can help you pack the dress for the airplane.
7 months to go
- Order bridesmaids' dresses
- Order tuxes or arrange for local attire for groom and groomsmen
- Begin ring shopping
6 months to go
- Finalize decisions about cake, flowers, and catering menu
5 months to go
- Send out invitations. This is much earlier than a non-destination wedding, but the additional time will give guests ample opportunity to make travel arrangements.
2 months to go
- Confirm hotel and travel arrangements
- Confirm contracts with vendors
1 month to go
- Finalize and reconfirm everything!
4 days to go
- Arrive at destination
- Meet with vendors in person and review arrangements and timetable for day of wedding
- Manicure/pedicure/spa day — ahhhh!
For more wedding tips:
Essentials of Planning Your Ideal Wedding
Destination Wedding & Honeymoon Travel Planning
Bridal Shoes or Strappy Sandals?