You Rock, Babe!

Women are accustomed to receiving compliments, from the street whistler (gag!) to the random at the bar to the sincere guy we are dating. However, aside from the mouths of their mamas, men are rarely on the receiving end of a sweet sentiment from a beautiful woman. So a girl who can fire off a meaningful compliment will separate herself from the pack.

Woman complimenting man

9 Compliments men love to hear

Here are some warm fuzzies guaranteed to heat him up, and who knows you may even get a compliment in return:

Compliments men love"Boy, you can work it!"

Compliment your man on his talents, be it in the kitchen, in the bedroom (this is definitely at the top of his list!), in the gym or in the garage. A guy wants to hear how good he is at the skills he works hard to perfect.

Compliments men love"You make me feel so (safe, beautiful, happy, horny or anything that is a direct reflection of his efforts)."

This is one of the most sincere compliments you can give your man and one of the most deeply appreciated because it is heartfelt. A guy who likes you is trying hard to make you feel good so let him know it is working.

Compliments men love"OMG! You are so freaking hot! I love your (insert specific physical attribute here such as eyes, smile, abs, shoulders)."

It is one thing to tell a guy that he is good looking, but telling him specifically what makes him so dreamy, will give his ego an extra little lift. And when you serve up this accolade, gently touch the body part you are applauding to add extra sizzle to your compliment.

Compliments men love"I love spending time with you."

This compliment shows a guy that you like him not because of who he is on the outside -- his looks, his status or his money, but that you like him, because of who he is on the inside.

Compliments men love"I love the way you look in that (insert specific article of clothing)."

While most guys aren't as style obsessed as we are, they still want to be acknowledged for making an effort to look good, especially since they are doing it mostly to impress you. However, they take more pride in how they appear in an article of clothing than their ability to pick it out, so focusing on how the thing makes him look instead of the thing itself will give him a much bigger boost.

Compliments men love"This was the best date, gift, wine selection at dinner (or some other acknowledgment of when he has tried to impress you.)"

Positively reinforcing a guy who is making an effort to show you a good time makes him feel like that effort was worth it, so show a little appreciation by acknowledging his job well done with a verbal high-five.

Compliments men love"You are so good at your job."

Recognizing a man's brainpower and how good he is at his job will resonate loudly with him and also say a lot about you. Most women are impressed by a man's career status or how much money he makes, but acknowledging how hard he works, or how dedicated he is and that you admire him for it, will warm his heart.

Compliments men love"You have a wonderful family or I like your friends."

Girls don't always get along with a guy's friends and/or his family so knowing that you respect and genuinely even like his will mean the world to him.

Compliments men love"What would I do without you?"

Guys want to feel needed. Whether it is to open a pickle jar or to help you with your taxes, one of the greatest feelings in the world for them is feeling like you can't live without them. Letting him know that you need him in that neo-traditionalist way will certainly give him a healthy machismo boost.

Love your guy?  Make sure he knows it! Find out how to celebrate your relationship.

Do you know how to flatter your man?

Do you know how to flatter your guy? Take this quiz from SheKnows Love Expert Dr. Noelle Nelson, to see if you know a guaranteed way to make your guy beam (and think you're wonderful at the same time!).

QUIZ: Do you know how to flatter your man?  >>

More ways to make him feel special

Tags: compliments husband and wife

Comments

Comments on "9 Compliments men crave"

anonymous December 18, 2013 | 3:38 PM

I've used comments kind of like these before on my crush...hopefully he'll pick up on the hints:p

don April 25, 2013 | 12:18 AM

I agree with the list. My self esteem is intact, but I love to hear words of appreciation from the lady I am in a relationship with. I compliment her ten times more than she does me. 6 months ago she blurted out in the parking lot, "you really are a handsome man." Like she just now realized it. I got week in the knees and felt a rush. Didn't realize I was so compliment starved.

R. Rogan April 12, 2013 | 6:39 AM

Yeah women crave compliments too. Why do men need to be stroked? I say stroke everything yourself. It's called SELF ESTEEM, not WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOU ESTEEM. You get what you give. You don't hand any out, you are not getting any back. Men are such useless infants.

Emma May 04, 2012 | 1:17 PM

Guys definitely love their ego stroked. But they can always very clearly read you, and if it isn't sincere then it really doesn't matter what you say! Don't flatter him just because, he will appreciate it so much more when it truly comes from a place of admiration or appreciation rather than wanting something from him.

Weber November 22, 2011 | 10:59 AM

"Guys love to have their ego stroked and told how awesome they are!" Das is true! Girls often complain "a guy always needs his ego stroked", but the truth is that we're all compliment-deprived, especially compared to women! When a guy hears a compliment of just about any sort, it's a really huge deal, and possibly his only compliment of the week. If women had that few of compliments, they would have the same problem no doubt! It's the feeling of ambiguity, a constant hunger for just some sign that someone appreciates you. THis is probably how women seem to do so well without relationships, whereas a guy seems starved for loved.

Cara January 27, 2010 | 10:56 AM

I love this list... I actually tried a bunch of these out and they work! I was shy to do so at first but it was like magic! I don't know what the guys who responded here are talking about. Guys love to have their ego stroked and told how awesome they are!

Richard December 12, 2009 | 2:34 AM

"You are so freaking hot!" Really? Give me a break. Ladies, if you said this to me I would get the impression you had a brain the size of an atom and try to distract you with something shiny so I could escape.

Alan December 12, 2009 | 2:30 AM

Numbers one and three are ridiculous. You'd have to be an idiot to say that to a man you have feelings for. I do however like #2 #4 and the last one. Those are nice to hear.

ME!!!!! November 06, 2009 | 3:35 PM

OMG I am like in love with this dude and he has been dropping hints that he likes me and I think I am gonna ask him out!!!!!!!1

Kimmi November 05, 2009 | 12:16 AM

Thanks for this! I'm going to hang on to this and pull them out when I need them!

anonymous November 04, 2009 | 6:44 AM

Tristan Coopersmith is a homewrecker. SHe messes around with married men!

anonymous November 03, 2009 | 12:46 PM

aren't those compliments the ones that were suggested to you by others and now you are taking credit for it! Shame on you!

anonymous November 03, 2009 | 12:43 PM

aren't these the compliments other people suggested to you and now you are trying to take credit for it!

me November 03, 2009 | 12:38 PM

get the hell outta here! all that advice you give is common knowledge. Getting an f ing life