Popping The
Big Question

Are you wondering when or if your guy is ever going to propose to you? Bridal experts Urusla Guyer and Stacy Senechalle say that these six signs usually indicate whether your guy is getting ready to pop the question.

Recently Engaged Couple

1. Saving money

If you notice that your guy is watching his dollars more carefully and going out with the guys less or generally being more frugal about his spending, something is up. An engagement ring and a dream wedding aren't not cheap and unless he's getting ready to make some other type of huge commitment that you are aware of (i.e. buying a house, car or starting a new business), he's probably gearing up to save up for your bling.

2. Commenting on someone else's jewelry

Most men hardly know or care about the difference between pear-shaped and princess-cut, so if he's asking questions, he's probably doing his research.  Jennifer U.'s husband found out what kind of ring she wanted without directly asking her,"I'm a really picky person so my husband was extra careful about trying to get the right ring because he knows I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to exchange it! We were shopping one day and he led me over to the jewelry section and started asking me questions about what I liked and he had the speaker phone on his cell phone on the whole time so that his best friend's wife could listen in and take notes. I had no clue until he told me later on!"

3. Missing ring

A smart guy will make sure to grab one of your rings to get it sized for your finger. "I knew my boyfriend didn't know my ring size cause he's never bought me one, so I was surprised when my engagement ring fit me perfectly. When I asked him later on how he figured out my size, he said he stole an old ring I stopped wearing to find out my size", says Kendra T.

4. Weird behavior

Asking someone to marry you is not an easy task, so your guy might start acting strange because of all the stress and pressure. If he's not acting like his cool, calm and collected self, he's probably rehearsing his proposal in his mind, day and night!

5. Nowhere to be found

He's going to need a discreet time to shop around for your ring. Alicia Z. started getting suspicious when she couldn't reach her boyfriend during his lunch hour at work. "I couldn't reach him during his break at work either on his cell phone or his work phone every day for a couple of weeks so I started thinking he was having an affair at work! But, he was really looking for my ring," says a now happily married Alicia.  If your boyfriend also claims he's really busy and isn't spending any time with you, he's probably making plans for the special occasion so give him the benefit of the doubt!

6. Away For the Weekend

If your guy strangely goes away without you and he's not with his friends or family members, he's probably meeting your parents to ask permission to marry you, the old-fashioned way.

More SheKnows romance content

Internet proposals: Hot or not?
Psst! Here's the secret to a happy marriage
10 Marriage proposal stories

Comments

Comments on "How to tell if he's about to propose"

Nina December 17, 2012 | 9:44 AM

My boyfriend asked me if I like princess cut or round, then we looked at rings online. He just the other day asked me my ring size... but at the same time he's been telling me he wants to buy me a diamond necklace. He swears he wants to grow old with me... I just wonder if he's really up to something it's my mind playing tricks...lol

Shannon October 15, 2012 | 3:10 PM

These are all classic signs your guys is about to propose! My now husband was guilty of almost all of these!

lynndsey September 16, 2011 | 10:01 AM

omg idk wat to do my boyfriend keeps asking me to marry him like hes practicing and i always told him yes but now he says that nxt month on the 16 is a special day and i dont know wat so im also playing the waiting game. im soo excited to see wat happens

Wonderland August 10, 2011 | 10:25 PM

Uh oh I overheard my bf on the phone with his 8 year old. And getting permission to marry me. I was sent downstairs the next day to get his phone and I swear I wasn't snooping but the text from his sisters bf said congratulations on your pending proposal. So tn I had to look. He asked his mom what she thought of him asking to marry me!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm just playing the waiting game.

Meyonia Corbett November 15, 2010 | 1:37 PM

I have been dating this guy and at the church he attends the men marry the women they date in high school. Well that's where we come in and now I'm just waiting for that big day. Funny because he is showing all signs of proposal and I love him so much so I can't wait to marry him. He and my mother have already been talking and she put in her request for 2 grandkids. He even calls her mom as in his mother-in-law.

hopefull September 29, 2010 | 6:25 PM

My guy let me drag him into a jewelry store the other day and payed attention to the jewelry i was looking at. then, he aked me for my ring size... then, he asked what kind of dog i would want if we lived together... tonight he took his dad out to dinner and said they were just talking... either i am getting excited about nothing or he is really bad about being quiet... what do u ladies think?

Staz May 17, 2010 | 12:23 AM

My boyfriend took one of my rings off the other night and when he thought I wasnt looking put it in his wallet and went to the bathroom, when he returned he put it back on my ring finger....could he be sizing my finger for an engagement ring?

Paul December 30, 2009 | 10:42 PM

I think women should think about popping the question themselves. They don't have to do it the way guys do it, getting down on one knee, but they could propose to the husband in a unique way that only a woman could do. I know some women who have done this. If the man says he's not ready, you can have him wear the ring as a reminder that you are ready when he is. Of course this kind of arrangement could work if the man is proposing to the woman, and she's not ready.

elly yung October 23, 2008 | 8:43 AM

ok

ostro June 27, 2008 | 8:42 AM

1. Saving money If you notice that your guy is watching his dollars more carefully and going out with the guys less or generally being more frugal about his spending, something is up. An engagement ring and a dream wedding aren’t not cheap and unless he’s getting ready to make some other type of huge commitment that you are aware of (i.e. buying a house, car or starting a new business), he’s probably gearing up to save up for your bling. 2. Commenting on someone else's jewelry Most men hardly know or care about the difference between pear-shaped and princess-cut, so if he’s asking questions, he’s probably doing his research. Jennifer U.’s husband found out what kind of ring she wanted without directly asking her,"I’m a really picky person so my husband was extra careful about trying to get the right ring because he knows I wouldn’t hesitate to ask him to exchange it! We were shopping one day and he led me over to the jewelry section and started asking me questions about what I liked and he had the speaker phone on his cell phone on the whole time so that his best friend’s wife could listen in and take notes. I had no clue until he told me later on!" 3. Missing ring A smart guy will make sure to grab one of your rings to get it sized for your finger. "I knew my boyfriend didn’t know my ring size cause he’s never bought me one, so I was surprised when my engagement ring fit me perfectly. When I asked him later on how he figured out my size, he said he stole an old ring I stopped wearing to find out my size", says Kendra T. 4. Weird behavior Asking someone to marry you is not an easy task, so your guy might start acting strange because of all the stress and pressure. If he’s not acting like his cool, calm and collected self, he’s probably rehearsing his proposal in his mind, day and night! 5. Nowhere to be found He’s going to need a discreet time to shop around for your ring. Alicia Z. started getting suspicious when she couldn’t reach her boyfriend during his lunch hour at work. "I couldn’t reach him during his break at work either on his cell phone or his work phone every day for a couple of weeks so I started thinking he was having an affair at work! But, he was really looking for my ring," says a now happily married Alicia. If your boyfriend also claims he’s really busy and isn’t spending any time with you, he’s probably making plans for the special occasion so give him the benefit of the doubt! 6. Away For the Weekend If your guy strangely goes away without you and he’s not with his friends or family members, he’s probably meeting your parents to ask permission to marry you, the old-fashioned way. More SheKnows romance content Has and the City changed dating? PointsandPrizes Keyword: SIZE worth 50 points good through June 29, 2008. Not a member? Join Points and Prizes now for more free stuff! Share this article | RSS Feed Sheknows /love columnist Jennifer Chowdhury is a freelance writer living in New York City. In addition to writing about love and , she covers a variety of topics such as beauty, health and other women's lifestyle subjects. Jennifer loves anything that looks good, tastes good and feels good!

Kingsley June 26, 2008 | 8:20 AM