The Secret To
A Happy Marriage

Swiffer commercial stars Lee and Morty Kaufman captured our hearts with their adorable on-screen interactions. The 90-year-old couple knows a thing or two about maintaining a happy marriage, so we asked them to share their tips. Not surprisingly, they include a lot of napping!

Lee and Morty, the Swiffer couple

It's easy to get cynical about marriage, especially since over 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. However, Valley Stream, New York, pair Lee and Morty Kaufman prove that true love does exist — and that marriage only gets better with age!

"They're the couple everyone wants to be," daughter Myra says in their new Swiffer commercial. The pair met 44 years ago under unique circumstances, and it's been an incredibly "happy union" ever since.

"We were both widowed in our early forties," Lee told SheKnows. "I was a teacher, and Morty's son had trouble reading. He came into my class and said, 'Scotty can't read for beans — what are you going to do about it?!' and that was our first introduction. Morty ended up asking me out when he came back for a parent-teacher conference, and fortunately, his son learned to read... Otherwise, Morty might not have married me if he didn't!"

Morty joked, "If she could teach Scotty to read, then I knew she had patience... and was the one for me! Forty-four years have flown by."

Lee added that the main thing she was attracted to was his sense of humor.

"He was — he is — so charming and funny," she said. "He's the same in real life as he is in the Swiffer commercial, and I have to admit, he's a pretty handsome fellow. He's such a genuine person — what's not to like?"

The secret to a happy marriage

Lee & Morty Swiffer commercial

So, we have to know: What's their secret to a happy marriage? It's unbelievably simple, Lee said.

"No matter what age you are, it's important to enjoy all of life's moments, even small things like cleaning," she said. "For instance, we enjoy each other's company even as we clean the kitchen floors and do our Swiffer dance."

Communication and independence are also necessities in a successful marriage.

"As you can see from the commercial, we're pretty good communicators and talk to each other a lot," they shared. "We've always just shared what's on our minds with each other in good times and in less-than-perfect times, and that's how we've stuck together so long."

"Having a little bit of structure is key," Lee added. "We each have our own hobbies and interests — but make time to do things with each other and friends and family on a regular basis."

How Lee & Morty show their love

Lee and Morty Swiffer commercial

Married couples tend to take each other for granted after years together, but not Lee and Morty.

"We pay attention to the little things and look after each other," they said.

Little things include making sure Lee is safe when she hops up on a chair to clean.

"I used to have to make sure Lee was steady when she'd stand on chairs to dust before Swiffer sent us everything that makes cleaning easier, but now she uses the duster with the long handle [Swiffer Dusters Extender], so I don't have to worry about her anymore!" Morty said. "You have to look out for each other, you really do. If you want a successful marriage, you have to let each other know you love each other, and you have to take care of each other — and we do."

"And I let Morty have his naps!" Lee joked. "The Kaufmans must have a sleep gene — they're great nappers, so I let Morty enjoy snoozing, although that's his game, not mine."

Watch Lee & Morty's Swiffer commercial

More love and marriage tips

Real love story: Persistence pays off
10 Ways to improve your marriage daily
Real love story: To Vegas and back again

Photos: Swiffer

Comments

Comments on "Love advice from Lee & Morty, the Swiffer commercial couple"

Cathy March 14, 2014 | 7:00 AM

This is the best commercial!!!! To see a couple still in love after being married all those years is beautiful!!! I think that Lee and Morty are awesome!!! I smile everytime I see them on TV. They rock!!!! :)

Melissa January 04, 2014 | 9:05 PM

Lee and Morty make me smile and simultaneously inspire me! I am so glad to see a real couple demonstate that marriage is not a prison sentence...More Morty, less Miley please!!!

Callan January 02, 2014 | 3:25 PM

First of all, I want to say that I enjoy the commercials; and that I think Lee and Morty seem sweet and genuine. However, I do agree with the sensible posters (like Chloe) who point out how ridiculous it seems that we applaud a man encouraging his 90-year-old wife to dangerously climb up to clean some knick-knacks (that no one will even see!). I also find the holier-than-thou admonishments of Leah, Rhonda ("You sound like bitter, negative old hens"), Jerry, thussaiththewalrus, Debbie, and notyou to be incredibly hypocritical. Why is it that people who piously denigrate others' insensitive comments are always nastier than those whom they criticize? And Debbie, to paraphrase YOU, "what an insensitive thing to say about a couple you DO know (your employers)." Simply amazing. :(

Richard Knee December 08, 2013 | 6:14 PM

WARM! Real, honest, love the couple. Areason to buy the product.

Melanie November 30, 2013 | 8:18 PM

We love Morty and Lea what an adorable couple. I knew they weren't actors I want to see more of them between Mortys naps lol Have a great holiday hugs to you both

Debbie November 25, 2013 | 1:12 PM

Good for Morty and Lee to be in good health and state of mind at their age to do a commercial. I work for a couple Mr. 90 and Mrs. 87 married 64 years and most days they don't know each other. Carolyn what an insensitive thing to say about a couple you don't know. Ok you don't like the commercial.

Fred Bianchino November 10, 2013 | 10:39 AM

Love this commercial puts a smile on my face, and shows there is true Love

carol October 29, 2013 | 2:14 PM

Love this commercial. What a wonderful couple.. God bless them & many More years together.

Carolyn October 25, 2013 | 5:41 PM

This is a stupid commercial as well as the couple. Will be glad when it has run it course. I click it off every time it is shown.

Anon October 25, 2013 | 3:25 PM

I tried to "like" this to Facebook, but it doesn't work. I LOVE this couple!!

Jae October 21, 2013 | 9:21 PM

I love this couple. They are amazing for 90 years old. Who cares if he is a bit heavy,he's 90! They seem like a great team,we need more like them in this old world.

Darlene Ortego October 20, 2013 | 2:52 PM

I enjoy the commercials. This is not "hard sell" but the point comes over way stronger then having someone screaming at you. Smart ads from Swifter. The couple is charming and hope to see them in more ads.

Ruthie October 19, 2013 | 11:21 PM

I love , love, love your commercial. It is such a precious loving commercial. The main reason I love it so much is that its a clean non ual commercial. I am so sick of what commercials have become. I fell in love with you sweet couple. We need more commercials like yours. God bless you sweet people with many more years of happiness.

Amanda October 17, 2013 | 3:06 PM

Seriously, the cutest couple I have ever seen...they are just ADORABLE! The way they talk about each other just makes me truly want that someday! I want a love like theirs.

Vicky October 17, 2013 | 7:11 AM

Adorable couple! I just knew they were not actors. They are so cute together. Love the commercial. Makes me smile.

JoAnn October 14, 2013 | 1:38 PM

I love them! They show us true love and togetherness. They finish each others sentences! Bless them both and I wish them another 44 more "happy years" at least!

Rhonda October 09, 2013 | 4:58 PM

What a beautiful couple Lee and Morty are! As for Petra,Jolandre and JH, you sound like bitter, negative old hens! I almost feel sorry for you three looney malcontents, but my sypathy really lies with the poor folks that have to live or be around you on a daily basis. Yikes...I cringe at the thought!!!

Cyndi October 08, 2013 | 7:39 AM

Absolutely adorable couple!! Blessings to you, Lee and Morty! Your commercials are a breath of fresh air!! Thank you!!

Chris S...Niagara Falls NY October 05, 2013 | 6:26 PM

One of the only commercials that I really enjoy . Bless them both.

pb October 04, 2013 | 8:22 PM

I wondered if they were a real couple. They look like they're at least 80 years old so the numbers didn't make sense. My husband I have been married for 44 years and we're sure not over 80 years old. And they say they have six children - those would have to be children from their previous marriages because even if they were only 80, that would mean they started having children after they were 40.