DIY Mason jar soap dispenser

DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

spruce up your sink!

Mason jars are one of the most popular accessories in home decorating. Whether used as centerpieces, lanterns or vases, these adorable and trendy little jars instantly update any room. If you're looking for a cute Mason jar project that is also functional, check out this fabulous Mason jar soap dispenser DIY! It instantly adds country charm to your kitchen or bathroom sink and is a cinch to make!

This project takes less than 30 minutes to complete and instantly updates your kitchen or bathroom sink. Not only is it easy to complete, it's very budget-friendly! All you need is dish or hand soap and a Mason jar!

What you'll need:

• Mason jar with lid
  • White or colored paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Nail
  • Hammer
  • Dish or hand soap with pump dispenser

Step 1: Paint the Mason jar lid

Remove the circle part from the lid and separate the two pieces.

lid

Using your paint and paintbrush (or spray paint), paint about two coats on each piece.

lid

painted lids

Let dry completely before you pick them up.

Step 2: Nail a hole into the center of the lid

Once the lids have dried, place your nail on the center of the circular lid. Using your hammer, gently hit the head of the nail until it punctures the lid.

hammer

lid

You'll need to repeat the hammer and nail process around your original hole a few times to make the hole large enough to fit your entire soap dispenser lid.

Step 3: Pour soap into the Mason jar

Pour your soap into the jar.

soap

Step 4: Attach the soap dispenser top onto the lid

Slide the soap dispenser top into the hole you created in the lid.

lid

lid

Drop the rim of the lid on top of it and secure the lid tightly to the jar.

screw lid

Step 5: Use!

Put the finished jar in your kitchen or bathroom and use!

mason jar soap

More Mason jar ideas

DIY painted Mason jars and wine bottles
4 Unique DIY Mason jar projects
Create a memory jar for a special occasion

Tags: bathroom decorating

Comments

Comments on "DIY Mason jar soap dispenser"

Lori April 02, 2014 | 10:26 AM

I love these and how they look, but the pump is wobbly and does not stay put at all. I have tried twice now. Both times I used E6000 glue to glue the pump to the lid and both times it failed. I wish I could find a solution for it, as I love the look and the idea of them! Also, just use a pump from a hand lotion bottle or hand sanitizer and cut it to the size needed. That's what I did. I never paint mine either. The silver color gives a much nicer shine and finish. I think if painted, the paint may chip as well.

Linda February 16, 2014 | 7:11 PM

Too cool. I hate all the negative stuff. If you don't like don't bother making it, but keep your comments to yourself! We who love the ideas comment and if we don't just ignore them. As for this one, I'm making one for our outhouse up north and putting hand sanitizer in it and attaching it to the wall in the hook I saw on another "jar" post. Such a nifty idea, and the color is perfect for my bathroom at home. Gotta find me some more of these Blue Mason Jars. So many uses for our cabin! Can't wait for going jar hunting.

Tammy October 16, 2013 | 7:19 PM

It would be a ok idea if the pump was secure and it wasn't painted.

Carol Stewart September 12, 2013 | 3:55 AM

What a waste of time. Who wants a canning jar in their bathroom?? Keep the jars in the garage to hold nails, screws etc.

farmkiti September 06, 2013 | 8:00 PM

Thanks for the great idea! I've seen kits to do this that cost some money. This one costs very little! Thanks for the idea of just using a pump from another ready-made soap container.

stevo August 28, 2013 | 4:59 PM

here's a hint: to keep the dispenser pump from being wobbly, use scissors to round out the small punched hole to a little bit smaller than the pump size. then insert pump through hole and turn clockwise until tight. I figured this out after trial and error. old jars (especially the blue ones) look really cool when matched with rusty lids. I don't paint the lids...just my taste. hope this help.

Mary August 02, 2013 | 11:53 PM

Good grief! One of the photos shows hammering a nail on the lid while it is ON THE JAR! What a great way to break the glass jar! Put the lid on a piece of scrap wood to hammer the nail!

Joan Mcclenithan July 17, 2013 | 9:20 AM

I like the idea on the mason jars. I always have them around. I have fix a few with the candle stick n I love them. My first one cost me 12$ on sale. I have ask around n no one can tell me where to find the soap pumps....can u help me out, where can I find them at

Jill May 09, 2013 | 5:56 PM

You don't glue the pump to the lid? Doesn't it get wobbly when pumping it?

Danielle January 14, 2013 | 3:03 PM

Wouldnt the pump be really lose without something secure holding it in place?

nancy January 01, 2013 | 12:43 PM

I'll be making one for my bathroom tonight. I like the rusty lids so I think I'll hit Home Depot and get some textures spray paint. I have some tea-stained cheesecloth to tie around the neck and was toying with the idea of different seasonal things to hang from it with jute...greens for Christmas -pinecone for fall...thanks for the inspiration! :)

HUH? December 16, 2012 | 11:10 AM

I don't see the beauty in painting a the top on a mason jar, putting hole in it and using it for a soap dispenser. What happens if the jar turns over or falls? Then you have soap all over the place being that the pump isn't screwed in secure. Besides it looks quite tacky and you can't get all the soap as the dispenser doesn't reach all the way to the bottom. Granted the idea the lady had about the jelly jar would be a bit more. cute. But that painting thing has to go.

Mary November 20, 2012 | 8:31 PM

Just did this and it took like 10 minutes. I used a jelly jar and the lid had a cute checkered pattern on it so I didn't bother to paint it. So easy to do and looks lovely. :) Great idea!

Gabriela July 27, 2012 | 8:21 AM

Hello, Love, love, love it! I am making one for my kitchen and bathroom. Gabriela

Grace July 24, 2012 | 7:50 AM

I love it. I'm going to do this today. I have been saving a mason jar for no reason but waiting for the right craft to come along. One question, why did you paint the lid? Any particular reason other than aesthetics?

jonathan July 17, 2012 | 4:01 PM

nice....im not much into arts and crafts...bu this is a great idea. You spend more money in all these fancy soap dispenser. Im going to try this out