Homemade facial scrubs

Face and body exfoliators can set us back more money than we might like, and they're often filled with laboratory-concocted ingredients. Making your own natural exfoliators is easy and can save you a ton of money. Here are four easy exfoliator "recipes" to try.

Natural affordable face scrubs

Exfoliating is a very important part of any skin care regime. Not only does it slough away dead skin cells, but it also unclogs the oil and dirt that lives in your pores and can cause breakouts. Most store-bought exfoliants contain harsh chemicals and dozens of questionable ingredients that have unknown benefits. Instead of shelling out the money for a store-bought exfoliator, try concocting one of these four homemade exfoliators using ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.

As with any other exfoliating treatments, these should be used two to three times a week, not every day. And keep in mind that when trying a new skin care product (or in this case, recipe), test it out before you go to bed. That way, if you have an adverse reaction, you can give your skin time to recover while you sleep.

Baking sodaBasic baking soda scrub

The range of what baking soda can do just seems to be getting wider and wider. It can freshen the air, remove stains, clean showers and sinks, and trigger explosions in science fair volcanoes. Oh yes, we can use it to bake, too. But there is one more non-food-related use to add to baking soda’s resume: face exfoliant. The grains in baking soda are just the right size to act as a gentle exfoliant, and many claim that it has helped clear up acne. Mix in a teaspoon of baking soda to your facial cleanser to make it an exfoliating cleanser. Or make a paste of just baking soda and water, gently rub it onto your skin and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing off.

SugarNourishing sugar scrub

Granulated sugar is another wonderful, natural exfoliant -- and with all these reports coming out that sugar may be toxic when ingested, I’m thinking we might be better served to use it on the body versus in the body. Mix it with honey, which contains powerful antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and a little lemon for clarifying purposes, and you have a wonderfully nourishing and effective face scrub. Combine 1 teaspoon sugar with 1/2 teaspoon honey and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and mix well. If the mixture is a little loose, add a bit more sugar.

Coffee groundsInvigorating coffee scrub

Coffee is another fantastic natural exfoliant. It contains caffeic acid, which has anti-inflammatory effects and can boost collagen production. Just as coffee stimulates our body in the morning, it can serve as a skin stimulant as well. To make the scrub, combine 1 tablespoon of ground coffee with 1 tablespoon of water or olive oil. To make this inexpensive face scrub even more economical, save the wet coffee grounds from your brewed morning coffee and use those. If you use olive oil, skip applying a moisturizer afterward, as olive oil will leave your skin super-moisturized. As a side note, since coffee grinds can clog drains, apply the scrub and buff off the grounds over a plugged sink so that you can wipe them out or use a mesh drain strainer to catch them before they go down your pipes.

OatmealSoothing oatmeal scrub

People who use oatmeal as a natural face scrub swear by it, and now I know why. Ground oatmeal not only serves as a wonderful exfoliant, but it also absorbs and removes surface dirt and impurities while leaving your skin nourished and hydrated. It has been known to soothe and heal everything from acne to sunburn to dry, flaky skin. Given its gentle nature, it is also ideal for those with sensitive skin. Combine 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, which boosts the face treatment's exfoliating properties, and 1 teaspoon of water or olive oil to make it into a paste. Gently rub it onto you skin in circular motions, let sit for five to 10 minutes and rinse.

More green beauty ideas

Are your natural beauty products really natural?
Why you should green your beauty routine
Natural beauty remedies

Tags: face care

Comments

Comments on "How to make your own exfoliating scrub"

Rowan March 19, 2014 | 4:35 AM

Can you store these scrubs ?

Emily March 15, 2014 | 6:07 PM

Tried the baking soda one,AWESOME! I will remember this :)

Barb January 26, 2014 | 3:48 PM

I just used the baking soda and water exfolliant and it worked great. The next time I will try the sugar, honey and fresh lemon juice. Thanks, Barb

Liina September 23, 2013 | 9:11 AM

I usually have really oily skin, but right now i'm using some medicine that has made my skin ultra dry for the moment...I'm trying lots of things but this sugar, honey scrub was really nice, and although didn't make all my dryness disappear all the big dry patches are gone..Thank you :)

jhay peteza September 19, 2013 | 8:26 AM

thank you very much i have an idea to make my face beautiful and look younger

Teresa September 18, 2013 | 5:12 PM

Is the ground oatmeal made from ground up rolled oats? Do I just put some rolled oats in a grinder or food processor? Thanks!

Michelle August 20, 2013 | 5:09 AM

I searched this topic after learning that a lot of store bought scrubs contain tiny balls of plastic that end up in our oceans by the billions and fish are feeding on them mistaking them for for eggs!I am looking forward to trying the recipes, thanks!

Ree August 04, 2013 | 10:32 AM

I'm a makeup artist in Dallas. I recommend these to my clients!!

Irma July 10, 2013 | 9:35 PM

Thanks a lot!! I just tried the one with sugar, honey and lemon. Its amazing how my skin feels. I rushed out of my shower and made my teenager do it as well. Will definitely try the others.

BBB July 03, 2013 | 11:26 AM

Baking soda paste worked like a charm! To my surprise it also removed blackheads, my nose looks fantastic and no home remedy has ever removed blackheads.

analie June 23, 2013 | 1:13 AM

Thank you for sharing...I really love it!Godbless

Adriana June 22, 2013 | 12:23 AM

This is for Mina: Try to get your hands on South-African (internet)Redbush Tea (Rooibos), let it soak in boiled water, as you would make tea, and use the bag as you would with a cottonball soaked in clarifing lotion to spread over your face. Let it dry, then wipe with a cottonball dipped in water. Do this as often as possible, see if it may make a difference!

Mina June 21, 2013 | 10:01 PM

I have fairly dark skin and I was wondering if exfoliating will help lighten the tone of it. I've bought many scrubs recently but they don't seem to be making a difference?

Cindy June 21, 2013 | 10:59 AM

Thanks for all of the info will have to try all of these out! I'm on a budget so this works great for me! Thank you for sharing!

sanam June 13, 2013 | 9:57 AM

i used yogurt as a cleanser and add some quantity of salt in it... salt worked as a scrub.. after doing this my skin looks glowy and smooth

Hanna April 23, 2013 | 10:22 AM

Tried the Coffee exfoliater, it is a little harsh on the skin, but it did make my skin really soft, I'll make sure to try the Baking soda one next time since the coffee one was really messy.

Sue Szymanski April 05, 2013 | 6:23 AM

I've used oatmeal and buttermilk for year. Soak the oatmeal and buttermilk overnight, then strain through cheesecloth. Use the liquid for a mask. It tightens and smooth the skin. You can save the remaining liquid in the refrigerator. The buttermilk leaves face soft and nourished.

Cindy April 01, 2013 | 5:24 PM

Used the sugar, honey & lemon juice. feels clean and smooth.....Now, is lemon juice a good toner??????

Emma March 31, 2013 | 5:12 AM

Just tried on the baking soda one, and wow! At first it was almost stinging but not quite (kind of when you have sea water on your face in the sun) When I washed it off, I noticed all my blackheads had become white and were coming out, so I was squeezing them out completely. I had no idea baking soda could work wonders!

Whitt March 15, 2013 | 1:15 PM

Um...your skin is one giant organ--the largest in (on) our body. What ends up ON the skin WILL end up in your body.