Button Bowl

I recently fell in love with a bowl I saw on Pinterest that was made of translucent buttons by artist Iñigo Cañedo (see original pin source).

I repinned the bowl and it’s one of those images that I haven’t been able to get out of my mind ever since.

I’m probably one of the few people who doesn’t have a stash of old buttons. So to make this project, I had to go on a hunt for pretty buttons. I had the rest of what I needed on hand.

Learn more about Pinterest: What it is, how to use it and why you'll be addicted >>

Button Bowl supplies

Here’s what you’ll need:

• Buttons
  • Glue
  • A hemispheric mold (I used a curved Tupperware lid)
  • Release agent (I used aluminum foil)

Here’s what you’ll do:

Button bowl

Line your hemispheric mold with aluminum foil. You can use the inside or outside of your mold. I chose the inside and think that the weight of the buttons resting against each other made things easier.

Button bowl

Pour some glue onto a plate and dip the edge of your button into the glue. (I dipped them in two spots so they’d adhere to the buttons on either side of them.

Button bowl

Place your first button in the center and place remaining buttons on either side until you have completed your bowl. I completed one line at a time so that I could be sure they were straight.

Button bowl

Allow your bowl to dry completely. I left mine to dry overnight. Gently peel the aluminum foil from the bowl.

Learn how to use Pinterest to create an inspiration board >>

Tips for making a button bowl:

Play with different colors of buttons. Try creating fun patterns with a variety of different colors, including translucent buttons.

Try making differnt sizes of bowls. Small bowls are perfect for kids' rooms, larger bowls can make a gorgeous centerpiece.

Use Mod Podge to create a smooth, shiny finish.

If you can’t find a good selection of buttons locally, you can find them for a great price on Amazon.

More on Pinterest

Pinterest to the rainy-day rescue
Pinterest for moms: The best of birthday parties
Pinterest for moms: Create your dream mom cave

Comments

Comments on "How to make a bowl out of buttons"

gloria March 15, 2014 | 4:04 PM

I have about 30 sandwich bags of different colored buttons most are my mom's (she was born in 1911)and tons of mine that I have saved. Some are service buttons that I am sure could have been from WWll and this is ONE GOOD IDEA. I am going to give the bowl a go..I have an old dish of my moms, that has a not round, not oval, but inbetween.. I wonder if any of these buttons are worth anything..?? Would you know?

Christine January 15, 2014 | 1:19 PM

Ooops, just saw the picture (pictures speak a thousand words, lol) - need to find the NZ equivalent.

Christine January 15, 2014 | 1:16 PM

What kind of glue did you use?

rodel October 22, 2013 | 1:24 AM

try find a solution so that the bowl not be flattened?? its better when it is on a plate.......

cathy February 10, 2013 | 5:09 AM

Hey, any suggestions, I did this and it looked great for about 3 days...then the bowl started to become flat again, it's sort of plyable...what did I do wrong? please help

Kim December 21, 2012 | 2:02 PM

I'm going to try this with bottle caps! Will be sure to update.

Nichole December 03, 2012 | 10:12 AM

Michelle...I actually thought about doing that! I would imagine that it would work if you could find a way to keep the buttons from shifting too much when you pour the glue on. I think the end result could be so pretty--much more glass like. Good luck!

Michelle December 02, 2012 | 11:05 AM

I saw that same page! I loved that bowl! Do you think you could pour glue into you mold, smooth it out and then place the buttons? That seems like it would hold better and much easier to place the buttons.

Nichole November 21, 2012 | 10:24 AM

Hey Amber! Picture the button as having four sides, each of which will connect with another button. (It might help to look at the button like a clock, and the four points are 12, 3, 6 and 9.) So, dip one "side" in glue and place it beside another button that doesn't have glue. You're just trying to create contact points to hold the bowl together. Hope that helps! :)

amber hawkins November 20, 2012 | 1:12 PM

what do you mean by "dip the edge of your button into the glue?" i dont get what you are saying by that