Pinterest
Pinterest

Get pinning

You've been hearing about it everywhere -- Pinterest -- but what is this crazy new website that has everyone buzzing? The simple answer is that Pinterest is a virtual inspiration board and people who are already "pinning" know that it's far more than that. Let us walk you through the ins and outs of jumping on the Pinterest bandwagon.

What, exactly, is Pinterest?

You know when you're browsing online and see something you love and don't want to forget? What do you do -- email it to yourself? Print it out and put it in a binder? Bookmark it on your computer? Now there's a simple way to compile all of the great things you find online -- from clothes to DIY home ideas to inspiration for your bathroom remodel -- on Pinterest!

Woman on Pinterest

Pinterest is a website that allows you to "pin" things online, just as you would pin them on a real life bulletin board, but instead, Pinterest saves all of your pins on your account so that you can access them easily. Plus, you can follow friends on Pinterest and "repin" things that they have already pinned on your Pinterest boards or browse a live feed of items that are being pinned by strangers when you're searching for inspiration.

Still feeling lost? Let's walk through it.

How do I get started pinning?

The first thing you'll need to do is get a Pinterest account. You can go to the Pinterest website and request an invite (yes, there's currently a waiting list) or ask a friend who is already on Pinterest to send you an invite.

Pin It

Once you're on, the next thing you'll need is the "Pin It" button installed in your browser toolbar. This magic little button is what allows you to pin things online. Installing the button is very easy -- when you're in your Pinterest account, look to the upper right-hand corner and hover above "About," then click on "Pin It Button" and follow the directions to drag the button into your toolbar.

Or instead of using the "Pin It" button, you can also copy and paste links from sites you like, and it will search for photos from that page, which you can then pin. You can also upload photos from your computer.

Pinterest on iPhoneWhat am I suppose to pin?

Here's the great thing about Pinterest -- you can pin anything you want! Everyone uses it for different things -- from saving recipes that you want to make to saving articles that you want to reference later (we can, ahem, certainly suggest some you should pin!) to all of the shoes you'd love to add to your closet for spring -- so Pinterest can easily be whatever you want it to be.

As you start pinning, create "Boards" that categorize your pins, making them easy for you to find later. Pinterest suggests some to get you started, but usually you'll want to create your own to fit what you love to pin. It takes a while to get the hang of creating boards -- they need to be the perfect combination of general and specific -- but we promise that the more you pin, the better your boards will become.

Red thumbtack

Don't worry, we didn't forget about the "Repin" function on Pinterest! Once you've added friends to your Pinterest account -- you follow them as you follow Facebook or Twitter friends -- you will have a customized feed where you can see all of the fantastic things that they're pinning too. See an idea you love? Just hover over that pin in the feed and click on the "Repin" button to add it to one of your boards.

Keep an eye on SheKnows for upcoming articles on the hottest home and living pins we've found on Pinterest -- we're excited to share them with you in the coming weeks!

Now start pinning!

More Pinterest inspiration

5 Tips for minimalist decor
2012 Pantone color of the year
Create a yoga sanctuary at home

Comments

Comments on "Pinterest: What it is, how to use it and why you'll be addicted"

Roz February 07, 2014 | 5:48 AM

How can I put some of my travel pictures on Pinterest?

Jack January 17, 2014 | 7:35 PM

How do you find all the crap you just pinned?

Jack Chambles January 17, 2014 | 7:30 PM

How does this work?

Pat H. December 23, 2013 | 9:17 AM

I used to have a Pinterest account but I read an article about what the "agreement" you approve when you join really says (because, after all, who ever reads those things!) and it said you are swearing that you have the rights to all pictures you post and are giving them permission to use those pictures if they want to print a book of what people have posted. What?!?!?! I was posting other people's things not my own--how could I "own the rights to them" and give them permission to do anything with they want with the pics! So deleted my account and have avoided being tempted to pin anything since.

Nikki December 08, 2013 | 5:20 AM

I recently signed up and can see all of the lovely pictures and would like to try to make some of the items, but can't figure out how to get the instructions. All I get is a picture - or maybe that is all there is? I thought it might be like seeing a recipe and then being able to print and use it.

Douglas November 15, 2013 | 1:50 AM

I have "Pinterest" but I just don't get it....

Fran October 13, 2013 | 2:18 PM

Is Pinterest like Yahoo? Meaning if your computer crashes is what you have on Pinterest still there when you go back into it?

Babe Larson July 20, 2013 | 12:13 AM

I haven't signed up yet. I'm involved in canine rescue. Would I be able to pin dogs looking for a home?

Kathleen July 07, 2013 | 7:45 PM

Still, NO CLUE!!! can someone who remembers what it was like when they stumbled upon it explain it? I don't do any social networking because they are high school, just online. I've had friends end up in divorce for "meeting up" after a long time and getting pregnant. I guess I will just use the i9nternet for important news from non-liberal sites...that's going to be difficult!

bonnie rokuski June 13, 2013 | 9:21 PM

I am an avid follower of Pinterest but am wondering how to I get the actual information on a pin I choose?

Brenda k reed March 11, 2013 | 3:28 PM

Hi I love Pinterest it gives me a reason to get up in the morning ha ha

still confused December 02, 2012 | 9:03 PM

I did a search to try and find out how Pinterest is different from social bookmarking sites and found your article. After reading it I can definitely say - I still don't know. But then I don't do Facebook or bookmarking (except in my browser) because I think all this "social networking" stuff is a giant waste of time.

Shar TenEyck October 30, 2012 | 2:03 PM

Can Pinterest be used to create photo albums?

Laura April 28, 2012 | 11:25 AM

I absolutely adore Pinterest! My friend is getting married and I've created a board just for her. When I'm online and I see something she might like, I pin it to the board I created for her. When she has time, she can just go to her board, and re-pin anything she likes!

Carol April 03, 2012 | 10:27 AM

What is Pinterest? Only the best thing ever invented. I'm so obsessed.

Brenda February 28, 2012 | 11:33 AM

Pinterest sounds like a giant waste of time.

StylishandTrendy February 13, 2012 | 6:39 AM

I loved pinterest from the moment i got an invitation from one of my friend. I share stuff, it's becoming my hobby.

Madeline February 09, 2012 | 5:05 AM

When I answered my invitation to Pinterest, in order to create an account, I was told I would have to have the new Facebook timeline. I did not sign up being as I don't want the timeline. Why is this? Is Facebook part of Pinterest or vice versa?????

Dready February 08, 2012 | 12:18 PM

I still don't see the point, or how it is so addicted. I'm perfectly satisfied with the bookmarking system on my browser. Why would I want to share all of that information with marketing firms?

Kristi February 07, 2012 | 1:35 PM

It took a few times. I asked a friend to invite me and she had trouble with Facebook letting her do it, so she added me via entering my email address. I added my username and it said it was taken, but by the third try it was not. Don't give up. Unless it starts to take you through the process, then you don't have an account. I also don't get this "invite only" crap.