Siri Cannot Connect!

Siri, Apple's new personal assistant for the iPhone 4S, isn't exactly working as expected for some users. Find out what's wrong, how to fix Siri and whether Apple is addressing the Siri issues.

Siri-connection

If you were excited about Apple's newest personal assistant tool on the iPhone 4S, Siri, we have bad news for you. Users have been reporting some pretty major connection issues with Siri. What's going on?

Connectivity problems

A lot of people were excited about Siri, a voice command tool that allows iPhone 4S users to check the weather, search the web and more. To use Siri, the phone must be connected to a 3G network or Wi-Fi. However, users who have had problems note that their phone was properly connected when they experienced the issues.

Over ten pages of user complaints and responses about Siri problems fill the Apple discussion boards. The initial user report that kicked off the Siri conversation was posted on Friday, the first day that excited Apple fans received their iPhone 4S:

iPhone 4s arrived by mail today. Turned on Siri via Settings/General. Asking REALLY simple questions like "What is the weather?" and Siri has not responded ONCE with an answer other than:

"What was that again?"

"Sorry, something's gone wrong. Can you try that agan [sic]?"

"Sorry, I didn't get that."

"Uh oh. Something's wrong. Can you try again?"

SO frustrating and disappointing. The microphone doesn't seem like the problem, as it is able to record audio elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with Siri?

As it turns out, a lot of people are experiencing the same issues with Siri. CNET reports that Apple hasn't commented on the problem. SheKnows reached out to Apple, asking about the connectivity problems with Siri, but we have yet to hear back.

Fix Siri!

Want to fix Siri? Business Insider says it has a simple solution for making Siri work:

1. Turn Siri off (Settings > General > Siri)
  2. Reset the network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)
  3. Turn Siri on again

Business Insider reports that this simple process should fix your Siri connectivity problem. If it doesn't, try again.

Siri image credit via Twitter user @RyderBeaird

Read on for more Apple news

iPhone 4S makes its grand appearance
Apple iCloud price revealed
Apple: Top smartphone vendor with more cash than the U.S. government

Comments

Comments on "Siri issues plaguing some iPhone 4S users"

James October 09, 2013 | 2:39 PM

Siri has gotten dumber since IOS7 update. I ask for directions to a local buisness and she doesn't know where that is. I say Siri, I need dirctions home, and she doesn't remember where I live and yes I'm in my contact list.

Ann December 16, 2012 | 1:12 PM

i turned off siri and now when i try to turn it back on it completely kicks me out of the general menu. ive tried syncking with itunes, turning on and off resetting network settings nothing has worked. apple wants to charge me to fix it. anyone else have this problem?

Faye August 09, 2012 | 4:07 AM

My issue is different, and I am thoroughly frustrated!!! I purchased the 4S because of Siri. It worked great for 3 days, then when I spoke, 3 little purple dots would flash across the screen...no words. It only intermittently would recognize my voice. I took it back to Verizon. They tried everything! Finally, they gave me a new phone.....same problem! It works fine for awhile, then stops working for the rest of the day. I planned on taking it back today and get the Droid Razr since I am within my 14 day time frame. Now I'm reading about the screen cracking on that phone....I don't know what to do!!!

Georgiana February 11, 2012 | 8:15 PM

I had problems w Siri when I first got my iPhone 4s. At th time I didn't know that my carrier offered a different data plan for th iPhone 4s. I switched from th th old iPhone data plan to th iPhone 4s data plan and it seems to have cleared up most if not all my problems w Siri.

Holly January 01, 2012 | 2:50 PM

Had problems with connecting to Siri and getting her to understand what I was saying. This fixed both issues. Thank you!!

Alex Noyle December 26, 2011 | 9:16 PM

The tip worked for me! Thanks a ton! :)

C Green November 28, 2011 | 3:02 PM

I have experienced the above issues with SIRI. However, following the instructions to reset SIRI solved the problem.

Laird Liebhart November 21, 2011 | 2:31 AM

Worked for me! Many thanks!!

Sam October 23, 2011 | 9:45 PM

I tried the three steps three time, didn't work for me.