From College Grad
To Sex Worker

College students who find themselves drowning in hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans are using an unconventional way to make money and pay off their debt. They're targeting sugar daddies who will pay down their college loans in exchange for sex.

Sugar daddy and woman

Would you trade sex for money to pay off your college loan debt?

If that sounds too shocking to be true, it isn't. According to the Huffington Post, college students are seeking sugar daddies who will hand over the big bucks that students and grads are using to pay off their enormous student loans.

Take, for example, "Taylor," a 22-year-old student whom we meet as she's "bracing herself to endure an afternoon of sex with someone she suspected was actually about 30 years her senior." Saddled with $15,000 in loan debt and past-due bills, Taylor discovered SeekingArrangement.com, a website devoted to matching college students in financial need and sugar daddies willing to pay to have sex with a young, nubile college student desperate enough to do it.

Taylor is what's known as a "sugar baby," and after she listed herself on the site, she met the man who would become her sugar daddy. What does she make as a sugar baby? Somewhere around $1,000 to $3,000 a month.

The Great Recession, a lackluster economy and the rising cost of getting a college degree have led a purportedly increasing number of students to become sex workers to escape the debt nightmare.

But at what cost?

As for Taylor's afternoon with a man old enough to be her father, she said of the sex, "I just wanted to get it over and done with as quickly as possible. [...] I just wanted to get out of that situation as safely as possible, pay off my debt and move on." For her time, she made $350.

While her experience went smoothly, it didn't end when the "date" ended. Afterward, Taylor struggled with what she had done.

"I never thought it would come to this. I got on the train and I felt dirty. I mean, I had just gotten money for having sex," she said. "I guess I accomplished what I needed to do. I needed the money for school. I just did what needed to be done."

For others, another question lingers: Is this sex work, or are sugar babies and sugar daddies simply using each other to deal with a tough economic time?

"These college women didn't see themselves as sex workers, but women doing straight-up prostitution often don't see themselves that way either," says Barb Brents, a sociology professor who studies prostitution. "Drawing that line and making that distinction may be necessary psychologically, but in material fact, it's quite a blurry line."

Tell us

Do think that the sugar daddy/sugar baby relationship is a form of prostitution?

Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

More career advice for women

Career networking is like dating -- only better
7 Habits of successful women
Do high heels make you feel more powerful?

Tags: economy sugar daddies

Comments

Comments on "College students trade sex to pay off college loans"

who cares February 03, 2014 | 9:05 PM

Chris McKane explained it best in his response regarding prostitution and woman marrying to divorce and take half of mens hard earned money. At the end of the day the majority of woman are looking to take advantage of men and the majority of woman are trained from a young age to do so by society along with the belief they are entitled and expect men to take care of them. I have never paid for a prostitute. However, I really do understand why men prefer to do this as it's much less costly than a girlfriend and opening up your personal finances by marrying someone who believes their entitled and marry knowing their planning to divorce years later. This is a different form of prostitution and has certainly cost many men lots of grief.

Rob January 01, 2013 | 7:00 PM

Those rich men are exploiting young women who have financial problems. They should be named and shamed. If they have 30,000 a year to give away, they could give grads a break in their industry, rather than make a prostitute of someone else's daughter.

Real SB August 22, 2012 | 4:36 PM

Sorry, but, "Taylor," is stupid. As a REAL sugar baby who has made over 40k just this year from being a sugar baby, and has only ever had ONCE with a sugar daddy (who later turned into something more), I can't believe this girl would demean herself like this and then turn around and give all sugar babies a bad name by calling herself as such. There is nothing wrong with being an escort, but call it what it is. And most escorts make WAY more than $350 for doing the deed. Hell, I make $650 every time I see one of my SDs and the most I've done is kiss him on the cheek. I hate how black and white this article is and makes the whole sugar world seem. If this girl is uncomfortable, she needs to stop being stupid and find another way to make money. Sugar babying is NOT prostitution. What this girl is doing is, but, while she is not an uncommon case (joined by the plenty on Seeking Arrangement who just don't understand the concept of an arrangement being nothing akin to prostitution), she's definitely not the prime example.

John June 25, 2012 | 11:11 AM

I've had with many women for money. Im in my 30's, and the girls are usually 18-25. Its always arranged, and we screen each other. Often times, the girls invite me to their home/dorm for our exchange. I've had many that call me up and ask me to come back, so it must not be that bad for them, and if the arrangement works well, then everyone is happy. they're making some money, I'm having a need taken care of.

Jim June 21, 2012 | 11:23 PM

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... It's a duck. If it sleeps with a guy for money... it's a prostitute!

a woman April 19, 2012 | 10:25 PM

To me it's the same thing as going on a date...but you know how it's going to end up.

CollegeGuy March 11, 2012 | 12:36 AM

If "Taylor" feels dirty after doing this then she shouldn't do it...morally, but as grown adults we all know the world doesn't work that way don't we. Or have you people forgotten that? And who are any of you to judge what someone does? I know girls that would actually love to have with a man 30+ years older than them. Never mind getting paid, it's a whole fantasy thing, people want to let out their inhibitions whether their 18 or 40. is , it doesn't have to do anything with your morals. I love , my girlfriend loves , if she meets a cute guy and wants to ---- his brains out i let her. Cause shes still coming back to me to fall sleep. ive been with her for over 5 yrs, we love each other and her morals havent been compromised a bit

Scarlet January 28, 2012 | 7:34 PM

I think this is kind of ignorant. If your boyfriend gives you $20 after a date or you have and at some point during the day he gives you money is it prostitution? So if I'm seeing a man who is older than me, who I really enjoy being around and I enjoy having with, and he gives me money, am I really a prostitute? What if I'm not compromising my values? What if I see him frequently and most of the time we're not having ? There are always going to be girls like "taylor" who will have with someone JUST for money. There are the "dirty" girls at strip clubs. There are always those girls that will compromise their values for cash. Plan and simple. So why cast such a negative light over every woman who might be considered a "sugar baby"? There are lots of men out there that want to just pay someone for , this is true. There are tons of girls out there that will justify having for cash. There are a lot of sugar babies out there that don't provide just and sometimes the relationship isn't ual at all. Most of the time it's an ongoing relationship. You actually get to know each other, you go on many dates, you aren't expected to have unless your comfortable. Seriously. No one made "taylor" have . She's a prostitute because she's prostituting herself and her values. Maybe some of us women like being spoiled. Maybe some of us have charming personalities. There are men out there that are lonely. They are overworked. They have bad home lives. Sometimes, they just want to take you to dinner. No matter what, you're not having with anyone unless you are choosing to. Stop acting like someone else made you feel dirty because of your own choice. If you didn't make the choice to have with someone, you're being raped and you should contact local authorities.

The Godmother January 10, 2012 | 12:18 PM

It is an assumption that no woman enjoys sleeping with a man 30 years older than herself. That's like saying "no woman enjoys sleeping with a man who is overweight", or "No woman enjoys sleeping with (fill in the blank for whatever doesn't meet society's norms)". Age gap relationships have, do, and will happen. They can embody the same love, inspiration and mutual respect that develops from any other relationship. When is involved purely for money or is a means to an end such as financial gain, that takes some examination. But... times are tough right now, woman are getting in the sack with young guys who offer nothing more than un-returned phone calls and early morning escapes. I'm not sure who is in a position to judge the agreement that goes on between this seemingly (but not actually) new group of pairings, that the ty economy may have stimulated.

Heidi December 04, 2011 | 12:54 AM

No younger woman enjoys sleeping with a man 30 years older than her. Please realize that. Women do this out of need. Even in the case of women who marry older men. There is nothing ually attractive about someone 3 decades past his ually prime. These relationships are based on a contract. Sometimes is not even involved- the man may simply want to be seen with a younger or prettier woman. The girl may not collect any cash or gifts but may have the opportunity to be exposed to fine dining or exclusive parties or nice homes. Once becomes involved, it is prostitution. An earlier poster commented on women who marry men and benefit financially. Obviously with your husband is not prostitution so the comparison does not make sense but many of these relationships are contract relationships- something above prostitution but still not morally right on the man's part because he has no NEED for this situation. Usually the woman does it out of need (student loans, no education, foreign women born in poverty, single mothers, etc.) but there are certainly cases where the girl is just a "gold digger".

Chris McKane September 24, 2011 | 12:27 PM

Well, look at this continuum: 1. Pretty girl with loans trades for money, no strings attached, as an escort. 2. Pretty girl with loans becomes a "sugar baby", getting paid monthly for a no-strings-attached relationship including . 3. Pretty girl with loans seeks out and finds a rich older man and marries him, avoids pre-nup, then divorces him. No strings attached (in her mind, at least). 4. Pretty girl with loans seeks out and finds a rich or upwardly mobile man a bit older than her, marries him, avoids pre-nup, then divorces him. No strings attached (in her mind). 5. Pretty girl with loans seeks out and finds a rich or upwardly mobile man her age and marries him without pre-nup (possible divorce in future TBD). Where in this continuum do you draw the line between what's morally okay and what's not??

Max August 31, 2011 | 4:55 AM

To be honest, this act is the real definition of prostitution,we may fool ourselves and call it the way it pleases those who are doing it, but the truth remains...they are all prostitutes, i mean both the ladies and the old men. Actually this carries with it a degree of abuse.

Jen August 17, 2011 | 4:25 PM

Why not call it what it is? It's prostitution and it's illegal, at least in my state.

Kay August 17, 2011 | 10:58 AM

Don't judge! This could be anyone's sister, daughter, cousin, aunt or mom. Besides that, it's nobody's business!! I worry about their health and safety....there are plenty of professions out there that screw people out of money....

Kristi Gilleland August 17, 2011 | 10:36 AM

Why do you even ask this question? If a woman trades for money, that's the definition of prostitution. So of course it is. Now whether or not it should be illegal - that's a legitimate question.

The Godfather August 11, 2011 | 3:40 PM

College students are going to have anyway, so why not make money from it. Are random drunken hook-ups at college or frat parties better for one's psyche or self-image than being compensated for the same act in a usually much safer environment? Contrary to what your article suggests, a lot of college age women actually enjoy the relationship that develops with someone 20-30 years older. The older man ofter times becomes a mentor and offers real life practical guidance that college students usually lack. Many times doors will open for the woman that would not have otherwise. The older man may gain much more than . Keeping in touch with the younger generation is very important in virtually all careers. Unlike street prostitutes, the above arrangement when carefully arranged offers benefits to all that have the potential to transcend the exchange of money and .