A Helping Hand
For Schools

If you're looking for a way to help out your child’s school, start clipping Box Tops for Education. You probably have a ton in your pantry, and they can make a world of difference to a district in need.

Box top for education

Times are tough. In today's difficult economy, most school districts are struggling to make ends meet as they educate hundreds, or even thousands, of students every day. Even though you'd love to help your child's school district, you probably don't have the funds to start writing checks on top of the school taxes you already pay.

An easy, painless way to help

Start clipping Box Tops for Education. Hundreds of products participate in the program, and you probably already have several in your pantry, freezer and fridge. For every Box Top you clip, your child's school will receive 10 cents. That may not sound like a lot, but it adds up quickly. Each school can receive up to $20,000 per school year from clipped Box Tops.

Imagine what your school could do with $20,000: New books, playground equipment, more supplies, field trips, classroom parties and more are possible. There are no limitations on the money's use, so your school can spend it as needed.

20 Ways your family can give back >>

How to participate

Grab your scissors and keep an eye out for the Box Tops for Education logo on the products you use every day. Scan the shelves at the grocery store and consider switching to Box Top brands if the products you purchase don't participate. Participating companies and product lines include General Mills, Green Giant, Totino's, Pillsbury, Old El Paso, Ziploc, Hefty, Juicy Juice, Betty Crocker and many more.

Once you've finished with the product, clip the Box Top before you throw it away. Be sure to look over the whole box: Some packages offer bonus Box Tops. Simply send the clipped Box Tops into your school with your child. The school will deal with turning them in.

Moms like you share: My favorite way to serve cereal >>

Keep your Box Top container near your trash can. It'll serve as a reminder to check for Box Tops when throwing packages away.

Getting everyone involved

Don't limit the giving to your household. Make a Box Tops for Education collection box and leave it at your work, church or community center. Make a small sign letting people know where to find Box Tops for Education and what they provide. If you get your whole community involved, you'll be making money for your school in no time.

Tips to trim back-to-school costs >>

Other ways to participate

You also can participate online by shopping through the Box Tops Marketplace and visiting the Box Tops Reading Room. The Box Tops for Education website provides more info on how you can help.

About Box Tops for Education

General Mills launched Box Tops for Education in 1996 on its cereal boxes. Since then, the program has given more than $400 million to schools across the country. Today, 30,000 schools participate in this nationwide fundraising program. New products are being added to the program constantly, so keep your eye out for the logo on your favorite products.

More ways to give back

Teaching kids to donate to charity
5 Ways to become an involved parent
101 Fundraising ideas

Tags: school fundraisers

Comments

Comments on "What is Box Tops for Education?"

Barbara March 30, 2014 | 2:06 PM

Does your program include home schools

chianna February 23, 2014 | 3:41 PM

This project is a very interesting one. I know I have been eyeing the Box Top project on labeled foods that I purchase but never understood how the program works or know of any schools personally that participates. I would love to hear some testimonies of schools that do participate in this program. I will be looking further into this fundraiser myself starting at the website I see listed above. Thank you.

Rusell Miler February 12, 2014 | 5:29 PM

I just learned about the expiration date. I have been clipping these things for years and never noticed. I just threw out over 1,000 expired points. Being from California ( I am in NC now) our legislatures made expiration dates illegal so I never paid attention. Now I have lost ALL interest in this program and will never bother clipping nor buying products just because they have the Box Tops. The products usually cost a lot more and only pay .10. I am so disappointed.

Susan Lampert November 08, 2013 | 12:00 PM

Hi, I have the same question as above, I am on the Board of Directors of the SE 4H Educational Center in VA and we would like to be a part of your program if possible. Please advise me if this is possible. thank you so much, Susan Lampert

Roger September 21, 2013 | 11:11 AM

Let's get something straight. Students aren't participating simply because they have this intrinsic motivation to give back. At our school, they receive 10 extra points on any assignment in any class (student's choice). So they could easily move from 85% to 95% on an assignment without actually mastering 95% of the material. That's not good!!

Kate September 09, 2013 | 6:11 AM

Hi. Does one just need to cut out the Box Top$ Education logo/label or the UPC bar code or both? Thank you!

Sam August 11, 2013 | 3:03 PM

I wish I could help out too but I don't live in the US or have kids who go to school there. Is there any way Canadians can collect box tops and help out?

Ree July 11, 2013 | 5:50 PM

Is Box Tops for Education only done by General Mills? That is the answer Kraft gave for not participating. Please advise.

Grenda S-.Williams June 17, 2013 | 7:59 AM

what are the submission dates for 2-13-2014

Whitney March 07, 2013 | 10:51 AM

Hi Linda and Yvonne! Unfortunately, the Box Tops program is only for schools.

Yvonne Sanchez March 07, 2013 | 7:46 AM

I am wondering if our church can use this program to help support the Sunday School program. Does anyone know?

linda d. morgan January 15, 2013 | 4:04 PM

I do back to school supplies at my church and would like to know how to get funds from the box tops for education.Do you help the schools only? Thanks so very much.