Make A Statement
With Your Collar
Your dog has a unique personality, so you want to make sure it has a unique dog collar to match! Give your pup the flare it deserves by personalizing your dog’s collar in 30 minutes or less.
Recycle your belt
For the tough dog that deserves to be adorned in leather and metal hardware, all you need to do is recycle an old belt. If you don't have one that fits your dog's personality, hit local thrift stores and pick up a few options. There are so many styles of belts on the market today that you're bound to find the perfect fit for outfitting your dog.
Other than the belt itself, you'll also need:
- Sharp scissors
- A leather punch
- Thick twine strung through a needle
Make the dog collar:
- Place the belt around your dog's neck, stringing the loose end through the buckle until it's a good fit. You will know it fits correctly if you can slip two fingers between your dog's neck and the belt and turn them easily, but you have no such luck with three fingers.
- Allow five to six extra inches, and mark the belt with the marker.
- Remove the belt from your dog's neck and cut the leather at the marked location. It's best if you cut the belt's end in a curved or "V" shape to make it easier to string through the buckle.
- Starting approximately 1.5 inches from the end of the belt, begin making punches in the leather every 3/4 inches.
- String the D-ring onto the belt, pushing it all the way to the buckle.
- Use the pre-strung twine to anchor the D-ring in place by sewing it onto the leather.
- Try the collar on your dog to make sure it's a good fit before attaching your dog's tags to the D-ring.
Ribbons and adornments
For the sassy Lassie who needs jazzy pet care items, you can make a unique dog collar by outfitting a traditional nylon collar with ribbons, sequins, beads and other accessories.
Simply pick up the following supplies:
- Unique ribbon slightly shorter and narrower than your dog's nylon collar
- Any accessories you would like to add (buttons, bows, sequins, beads, etc.)
- Sewing machine
Make the dog collar:
- Lie the ribbon along the center of the dog's collar so that the ribbon will show when the collar is being worn.
- Use your sewing machine to sew along the length of the ribbon on both the top and bottom edges of the collar to hold the ribbon in place.
- Attach the ends of the ribbon down by sewing a square with an X inside.
- If you plan on adding more accessories, like buttons, beads or bows, sew each accessory individually to the collar with your needle and thread. It's best if you add them in a pattern around the outside of the ribbon or straight down the center of the collar.
- Tie each accessory in place with a double knot.
- Clip loose threads and strings, and try the new collar on your dog.