(page 4 of 4)
The Apple of Our Eye
2 tablespoons brown sugar, not packed
2/3 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granular, divided
3 cups peeled apple chunks (use a sweet variety)
2 sheets (8 crackers) low-fat honey graham crackers
1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal, original
2 tablespoons fat-free liquid egg substitute
2 tablespoons no-sugar-added applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine water with brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt and 1 tablespoon Splenda. Stir well.
2. In a medium-sized pot, combine apple chunks with this mixture. Heat the apple mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once liquid thickens to a syrupy consistency and begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, and then transfer mixture to a medium-sized round baking dish. Set aside.
3. Break graham crackers into small pieces. Place graham pieces and Fiber One in a blender or food processor, and grind to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Transfer crumbs to a microwave-safe dish, and add egg substitute, applesauce, 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and the remaining 2 tablespoons Splenda. Stir well.
4. Microwave graham mixture for 1 minute. Use a fork to break up the toughened mixture as much as possible, and then allow it to cool for a few minutes. Transfer graham mixture to a food processor or blender, and pulse until crumbly and uniform.
5. Evenly distribute graham topping over apple mixture. Place the dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Allow cobbler to cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 141 calories, 1g fat, 2.25g fiber
Guilt-free Halloween treats
4 fabulous ways to stay fit this fall
Warm chicken salad recipes for fall