What better way to celebrate Earth Day than with recipes that are not only tasty, but local, fresh and environmentally friendly. Prepare a dinner from start to finish with local and seasonal fruits and vegetables, which typically produce fewer pollutants and travel fewer miles. Your meal will taste fresher and you will feel great for being green!
In addition to eco-friendly food, be the hostess with the most-est and impress your friends and family with an eco-friendly dinner party.
Makes 4 servings
2. Place skewers on oiled grill and grill 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with oil. Mushrooms should be tender when finished.
Note: Use any local, seasonal vegetables you can find.
Fresh Fruit and Nut Coleslaw
Makes 6 servings
2. Mix in cabbage, celery, mandarin oranges, walnuts and raisins. Mix yogurt with salt and toss with fruit mixture.
3. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Note: If fresh oranges and pineapple are available, use that and substitute fresh orange juice for pineapple juice.
Angel Hair Pasta with Asparagus
Makes 4 servings
2. Mix in broth and mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes.
3. Combine pasta with asparagus mushroom sauce and toss. Top with red pepper and cheese.
Earth Day Dirt Cups
Makes 8 servings
2. Spoon 1 tablespoon of remaining cookie crumbs into the bottom of individual cupcake liners set in a cupcake tin, or a large shallow serving bowl.
3. Fill cups or bowl with pudding mixture and top with the rest of the cookie crumbs. Place gummy worms and insects around to decorate. Chill until ready to serve.
Celebrate Earth Day every day and make it a point to eat eco-friendly dishes on a regular basis. Try these scrumptious eco-friendly recipes featuring eco-friendly cheese.