If you like the primitive look, you'll love making and displaying these rustic country signs in red, white and blue. They are easy to make and look great propped up on a shelf or mantel, or hanging on the wall.
You will need
6" x 2.5" wood plaque
Acrylic paint: Antique White & Barn Red or Navy Blue
White paint pen
Acrylic sealer spray
What you do
- Paint wood plaque with Antique White and let dry.
- Brush on a coat of crackle medium. Allow to dry to a tacky stage, but not completely dry.
- Apply a single stroke coat of Barn Red or Navy Blue paint. Do not repeatedly brush over the crackle, one or two strokes is enough or the crackle won't work. Allow to dry completely, crackling will begin within minutes after paint has been applied.
- When surface is completely dry, add Antiquing Gel according to bottle directions. Use rag to wipe off excess. Let dry.
- When dry, use a piece of sand paper to add a more aged look. Sand the edges so that they look worn and sand the surface if you really want an old look.
- Use a white paint pen to write on a primitive phrase. Some examples: simplify, believe, hope, live love laugh, or faith hope love.
- Spray with acrylic sealer and let dry completely.