Apple hosted an event today to share details about their next generations of the iPhone, and before the event even began, people had some high hopes.
The event was classically over-the-top, opening with a showcase of Apple's new Steve Jobs Theater that lasted through the entire duration of The Beatles' "Love is All You Need." My eyes were rolling so hard they nearly got stuck in the back of my head — your new theater is pretty, sure, but what about the new iPhone, something the rest of us will actually be using?
After a spiel about the new Apple park on their company campus, new plans for retail (apparently they call their stores "town squares" now, which... OK) and some info on updates to the Apple Watch, they finally got to it. And not only did they spill the deets on the iPhone 8, but they also shared information about the iPhone X, which they're touting as "the future of the smartphone" and "the biggest leap forward since the original iPhone."
More: 5 hair apps that are like personal stylists living in your phone
So, what are we working with? Here's everything you need to know.
iPhone 8/iPhone 8 Plus
- It comes in three colors: silver, space gray and gold.
- The glass is stronger, so your phone will be more durable.
- It's microscopically sealed, so it's more dust- and water-resistant.
- It has a Retina HD display with 3-D touch technology and true-tone display that will adjust your screen's brightness and color depending on the ambient light around you.
- The speakers are 50 percent louder than on the iPhone 7 and they're in stereo, so when you're watching movies in widescreen, you'll be able to be fully immersed in sound.
- It's powered by a new A11 bionic chip, the most powerful and fastest chip to ever be used in a smartphone, so your phone will work more quickly and intuitively than ever before.
- The apple-designed GPU graphics card is faster than ever and optimized for 3-D games and augmented reality.
- The camera is way better. It has a 12 megapixel sensor, a new color filter for truer tones and better saturation, a wide-angle and telephoto camera, image stabilization and "low noise" so the colors and sharpness of your images are truer to life. There's also a new portrait lighting mode that makes taking artsy pictures of faces easier than ever.
- The video is better too, recording at higher resolutions with lower noise and more frames per second.
- The phone comes fully equipped with an AR Kit for augmented-reality apps.
- Thanks to its glass back and Qi compatibility, the iPhone 8 supports wireless charging. This is great news for anyone who is sick of their iPhone chargers constantly fraying.
- The iPhone 8 will be $699, and the iPhone 8 Plus will be $799.
- They both will be available in two storage configurations: 64 GB or 256 GB
- You can preorder the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus starting on Sept. 15, and it will be available a week later, on Sept. 22.
More: Kid uses sleeping mom's thumbprint for online shopping spree
- It will be available this year. You can order it on Oct. 27, and it ships Nov. 3 — just in time for the holidays!
- It has an edge-to-edge screen and stainless-steel band that are microscopically sealed to be dust- and water-resistant.
- The home button is gone. There are buttons on the side, but everything else is done using the touchscreen.
- You unlock it using Face ID, totally new technology that scans and recognizes your face to unlock your phone. All you have to do is look at your phone and it will recognize you and give you access. It's super-secure too. With Touch ID, there was a 1 in 50,000 chance someone else's fingerprints could open your phone. With Face ID, that number is 1 in 1,000,000.
- It comes in space gray and silver.
- It has a brand new Super Retina HDR display, with 2,436-x-1,126 resolution and 458 pixels per inch, the highest pixel density of any iPhone ever, and it has great color accuracy thanks to true-tone technology.
- The True Depth camera, which works with Face ID, also opens up a ton of fun new options for better selfies, including an improved portrait mode and new portrait lighting settings.
- Animojis are the new emojis! You can choose from 12 different emojis, and using the True Depth camera technology, they can make the same facial expressions as you. You can even record videos where they'll match the movement of your face and mouth exactly — it's like getting your own Pixar cartoon character.
- It has better battery life. The battery lasts two hours longer than the iPhone 7, and like the iPhone 8, it's equipped with Qi-compatible wireless charging capabilities.
- The iPhone X will retail for $999 and is available in 64 GB or 256 GB
More: 5 best iPhone apps for wedding planning
So, there you have it — the future of smartphones is here. I won't lie. I was kind of expecting them to announce the first surgically embedded iPhone brain chip or something, but for now, the iPhone 8 and iPhone X will definitely do.