When it comes to decorating your baby's room, it's all about personalization, so DIY projects are a pretty ideal solution. Sure, it's super-fun to hit up stores for inspiration, but crafting a space that's as unique as your kid is always the goal.
Mobiles are a fun and unexpected way to display family photos in your child's room. This hot air balloon photo mobile is seriously easy to put together and looks so cute hanging in the nursery.
DIY photo mobile
- Cross-stitch hoop
- Fishing line
- 2 (12 x 12-inch) pieces of scrapbook paper
- Hot air balloon template
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera
- 12 Fujifilm Instax instant photos
- Hole punch
- Cut 2 pieces of fishing line that are 2 inches long.
- Tie the ends of these pieces to the inner hoop at 4 places that are equally spaced, crossing the strings.
- Trace the hot air balloon template on the pieces of scrapbook paper. You'll need to trace it twice to make 1 balloon, so plan accordingly, and trace as many as you'll want.
- Cut out the balloons, and cut center slits as indicated by the template, then put 2 balloons together to make 1 3-D balloon. Continue with the rest of your paper balloons.
- Punch a hole into the top of each finished hot air balloon.
- Cut 6 (18-inch) pieces of fishing line.
- Tie the fishing line to each hot air balloon.
- Tie the hot air balloons at different lengths to the inner hoop.
- Take photos with your Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera.
- Glue pictures to the filament at varying places.
- Glue a second picture to the back of each picture already on the filament.
- Hang your mobile.
Originally published March 2016. Updated May 2017.