But if you're wondering what ever happened to the good old-fashioned family holiday, have heart. A number of chains say their stores will remain closed on Thanksgiving this year.
Some are retailers that have opened in recent years but decided to rescind requirements that workers leave their families on Turkey Day. Others have never opened on Thanksgiving, and they're taking a firm stance that they aren't about to stick their feet into the Black Thursday fray.
What's more, these retailers have made a promise to not open in the wee hours (think 3 a.m. door-busters) on Black Friday either, giving workers some time to sleep off their holiday turkey. So who has stood up to say they want Thanksgiving to remain sacred?
Here's a list of the stores that have announced (as of press time) that they will not be open:
1. T.J. Maxx — As a company spokesperson told ThinkProgress, "We consider ourselves an Associate-friendly Company, and, we are pleased to give our Associates the time to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends."
2. Home Goods — This store is owned by the same company as T.J. Maxx and won't open until 7 a.m. on Friday.
3. Marshalls — Like its sister companies (above), this retailer will have shuttered doors on Black Thursday and is expected to open at 7 on Friday.
4. Crate & Barrel
5. American Girl — According to a corporate FAQ, Thanksgiving Day is not a day for doll shopping.
6. Dillard's — The store has traditionally shuttered for Turkey Day, but opens early on Black Friday.
7. Burlington — Want a new coat? Don't expect to get one until Friday morning.
8. REI — They won't open on Black Friday either. In fact, they're paying workers to not work the biggest shopping day of the year!
9. Costco — According to the store's hours, it's closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
10. GameStop — According to a company statement, closing on Thanksgiving is "part of the specialty retailer’s core values of ‘Protecting the Family’ and doing the right thing to disrupt the emerging trend in the retail industry of taking away holidays from customers and associates."
11. maurices — In a press release, George Goldfarb, maurices' president and CEO, announced, "One of our core values at maurices is putting people first, and we believe closing our stores on Thanksgiving Day sends a powerful message of support to our employees, our customers and the communities we serve."
12. Patagonia — In a bold move for a retailer, the store encourages people not only to stay home on Thanksgiving but to avoid Black Friday too.
14. H&M — A corporate tweet confirmed the retailer will be closed in all locations.
15. Pier 1 Imports
16. Staples — "We want our customers and associates to enjoy Thanksgiving their own way," said Demos Parneros, Staples president of North American stores and online, in a company statement.
17. Sam's Club — Although Walmart, its sister store, will be open all day on Thanksgiving, there will be no stocking up on jumbo tubes of toothpaste after your turkey.
18. Sierra Trading Post — Owned by the same company as T.J. Maxx, Sierra is expected to open its stores at 5 a.m. on Friday.
19. Barnes & Noble
20. Bed, Bath & Beyond
21. The Home Depot
22. Nordstrom — The retailer has never opened on Thanksgiving and doesn't plan to start this year.
23. BJ's — It's clear in big red letters on this store's schedule: It will be closed.
24. Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft — The craft store is continuing a tradition of staying closed on the big day.
25. DSW — According to the company Facebook page, "We have the best employees, and we're saying thanks to them again this year by giving them the time to celebrate Thanksgiving with their loved ones."
26. P.C. Richard & Son — The retailer's Facebook page proudly pronounces, "In our 106 years P.C. Richard & Son has never opened on Thanksgiving and will continue this tradition by once again remaining closed this year. We believe Thanksgiving should be spent with family and friends."
27. Sur La Table
29. Neiman Marcus
30. Talbots — Check out their store hours, and there's a giant "CLOSED" on Thanksgiving Day.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!