Cute Pies That Are Perfect For Lunches
Apple pie isn't exactly the first dessert that comes to mind when we think of lunchbox treats. However, not all pie has to be served in slices! These adorable handheld mini apple pies fit perfectly in tiny hands and themed lunchboxes.
These handheld pies taste just like your favorite apple pie — the only difference is that they're in cute bite-size form. Simply bake them the night before and they'll be cooled and ready for the next day's lunchbox. Swap out the fruit for fun variety!
Lunchbox apple pie
Yields 6 pies
For the crust:
- 1 cup flour
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2-1/2 tablespoons ice water
For the pie:
- 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking dish with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add in water until mixture forms a soft dough. Move to a floured surface and roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar and apple pie spice. Heat mixture until sugar is fully dissolved, about four minutes. Remove from heat.
- Scoop about 1-1/2 teaspoons of filling into the middle of six rounds. Gently press another round on top and crimp down all of the edges with a fork. Press a few holes into the top so the filling can air. Brush the tops of each pie with egg and water mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown.
More bite-size dessert recipes
No-bake chocolate chip cookie dough bites
Salted caramel cream puff recipe
Carrot cake bars recipe