Want to tell your kids how much you love them without embarrassing them in front of their friends? Slip a few of these cute heart-shaped sandwiches into a Ziploc sandwich bag for a more subtle and delicious reminder.
These are 100 percent customizable, so you can use any of your favorite fillings. We made three different kinds for some variety — grilled cheese; strawberry, honey and peanut butter; and a fun open-faced sandwich. Pick your kid's favorite ingredients for a sweet sandwich for lunchtime.
Yields 6 sandwiches
- 4 large pieces of sandwich bread
- Heart-shaped cookie cutters
- Peanut butter
- Sliced strawberries
- Sliced cheese
- Iceberg lettuce
- Roasted vegetables
- Goat cheese
- Stamp 12 hearts out of the sandwich bread. To get the most out of each piece, we tiled the bread so it made a diamond shape and stamped hearts out of each side.
- To make the peanut butter sandwiches, spread about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter over one heart. Add one sliced strawberry over the peanut butter. Top with about 1/2 teaspoon honey and a matching heart.
- To make the grilled cheese hearts, cut a slice of cheese into cubes and place them over one heart. Top with another heart. Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the heart sandwich in the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted, about three to four minutes on each side.
- For the open-faced sandwich, top one heart with lettuce, goat cheese and an assortment of roasted vegetables.
More fun sandwich recipe ideas
5 Fun and unique sandwich recipes
Grilled cheese rolls: A fun spin on an American classic
BLT tartine, an open-faced sandwich