How To... Make
Dips are like food accessories -- a great dip completes a meal the same way a fantastic bag completes an outfit. Make sure all your meals are sufficiently complete by serving up one of these surprising (and tasty!) dip and dipper recipes.
Step 1: Turn your favorite dishes into dips
Sometimes the best dip recipes are those that technically aren't dips at all. For instance, you could turn your standard tuna or chicken salad into a filling cracker dip for your kids. Another great idea came from an anonymous source whose family and friends are always asking for her secret dip recipe, which she refuses to reveal:
- Frozen Trader Joe's cheese or chicken enchiladas
- Microwave the enchiladas according to their instructions.
- Smush with a knife and fork until the enchiladas are in a proper "dip" state.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Serve with chips while hot!
Step 2: Add unexpected ingredients to a standard recipe
There are lots of standard dips out there. Bean dip, queso and salsa all come to mind, but who says you have to keep things "standard?" Add unexpected ingredients to your standard dip recipes to give your family and friends an extra tasty thrill. For instance, you can jazz up regular hummus with these tips from eHow Food and eco-friendly cuisine author and chef, Louisa Shafia:
Basic hummus ingredients:
- Cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 clove garlic
- Tahini (sesame paste)
- Olive oil
- A little water
- Salt, to taste
Basic hummus directions:
- Puree cooked chickpeas in a food processor with garlic.
- Add just enough tahini and olive oil to make the mixture smooth.
- Add a little water if the mixture is too dry, and add salt to taste.
Specialty ingredients, recipe #1:
- 2 cups roasted beets
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch of sweet, smoked paprika
Specialty ingredients, recipe #2:
- 2 cups roasted winter squash like red kuri, kabocha or butternut
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Pinch of ground cumin
Specialty ingredients, recipe #3:
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, fully rehydrated in water, then drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Pinch of thyme
Specialty hummus directions, all recipes:
- Place a cup of basic hummus in your food processor.
- Add the specialty ingredients from the recipe of your choice.
- Puree until smooth.
- Serve each hummus alone or as a trio with pita slices, whole grain bread or thinly sliced fresh veggies.
Step 3: Add flavor with liquids
Adding liquids and beverages to your dip recipes will change their consistency while also adding flavor. That's exactly what Chef Rick Bayless did when he added Bohemia beer to his Hot Cheese and Salsa Dip and Bohemian Guacamole. Try these two dips, and then experiment with your own beers, wines and juices.
BOHEMIAN HOT CHEESE AND SALSA DIP
- 1/2 cup Frontera salsa
- 1/4 cup Bohemia beer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Frontera hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Mix salsa, beer and cheeses in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Remove and stir well.
- Microwave on high again until cheeses are melted, about two to three minutes.
- Add cilantro, and stir well to blend.
- Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
- Transfer to serving dish and enjoy warm with Frontera Tortilla Chips and cut veggies.
- 2 ripe, large avocados
- 1/3 cup Frontera Tomatillo Salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup Bohemia beer
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- Frontera Tortilla Chips
- Cut avocados in half by rotating the knife all the way around the pit. Twist the two halves apart, then scoop out the pits.
- With a spoon, scoop the pulp into a large bowl. Coarsely mash with the spoon or a potato masher. Stir in the Frontera Tomatillo Salsa and fresh cilantro. Salt to taste.
- Divide equally among three serving bowls.
- Mix sun-dried tomatoes with beer, and microwave on high for one to two minutes. Let stand until tomatoes are softened.
- Strain off beer, and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Stir tomatoes and red peppers into the guacamole. Season with salt.
- Serve with Frontera Tortilla Chips.
For more household tips, check out:
Super Moms guide to cleaning & cooking for the family