How To...
Clean Glass Stovetops

A clean glass stovetop is aesthetically pleasing and will add a smooth and fresh look to your kitchen décor. Cleanup is easy if you follow a few simple steps.

Woman cleaning glass stovetopStep 1: What you'll need

In order to clean your glass stovetop you will need cleaning supplies that are used only for your stove. These include: a sponge, soft cloth, paper towel, dish soap, vinegar, and a specialized scraper for glass stovetops.

Step 2: Daily cleaning

Make sure that the stovetop has completely cooled down before you begin to clean the exterior. Use a soapy water mixture on a damp cloth or sponge to wipe down the surface; repeat the process if required. Rinse thoroughly and use a paper towel or a soft cloth to buff it. A daily cleaning ensures that a glass stovetop looks spotless at all times.

Step 3: Grease and grime

To clean a build up of grease and grime, apply dish soap with a sponge to wipe the glass stovetop. You may need to repeat the process if it is really grimy. Rinse the stovetop with a clean, damp cloth and use a paper towel to completely dry the surface. Water stains that might leave a mineral deposit can be removed by using full strength vinegar. You could also buy a special cleaner for removing grease from a glass stovetop

Step 4: Burned on residue

Sugary spillovers need to be cleaned immediately. Turn off the stove and remove hot pots. Do not use abrasive cleaners, scouring pads, steel wool, or a brush as they may scratch the surface of the glass or leave a residue.

Wear an oven mitt and use a single-edged razor blade, scraping at a 45-degree angle. The scraper can be purchased at a hardware store, just make sure that it is for a glass stovetop. Delicately scrape the spill using a bit of pressure. Any remaining residue should be cleaned once the stove has totally cooled down. Do not use the stove until the entire burned on residue has been removed.

Step 5: Cleaning the stovetop seal

To clean the seal around the edges of the glass, lay a wet cloth over the top; wait for a few minutes, then wipe it clean. Dry it with a paper towel.

Before you begin to clean your glass stovetop, it is also a good idea to read the owner's manual that it came with. The manual will provide you with safety information to prevent damaging the glass surface or yourself. Some models may require specific store bought cleaning creams and polish.

More cleaning tips

Comments

Comments on "How to clean your glass stovetop"

Amber December 23, 2012 | 12:28 PM

Great read, thanks! I found the tips very informative and will be using them to clean my stove.

Laurence Stevenson November 04, 2010 | 3:15 PM

Boy, do I have a love/hate relationship with my stove. The glass top looks great but is a major pain. Thanks for this. I never thought about a razorblade.

Hart Hill October 28, 2010 | 2:56 PM

I was just going to look for this very information on the web - talk about good timing. Thanks! Great article, easy to read. I now have a sparking-clean cooktop.

Dorothy Collins October 28, 2010 | 11:21 AM

Great article. We were provided with special lotion to clean our stove top but it doesn't work 100% - I think the tip about vinegar will probably do the trick!

audrey October 28, 2010 | 9:44 AM

I am looking to purchase a glass top stove. I will definitely save these useful tips!! Thanks

Amanda Dawson October 28, 2010 | 6:27 AM

I have a stove like this one and find it hard to clean sometimes. Thanks for the tips, especially the vinegar one, I tried it and it really works!

Martina Death October 28, 2010 | 6:04 AM

Good tips!! Loved the step-by-step instructions!! A clean glass stovetop makes a huge difference in the overall look of the kitchen!

Trudy October 28, 2010 | 6:03 AM

I own a glasstop for over 10 years and after using the special (very expensive) cleaner the 1st year I changed to the vinegar method - no one would believe the age of the stove - it looks great. Great advise for the ones who don't know already.

Lindsay garcia October 28, 2010 | 5:49 AM

It's nice to get other ideas of how to clean these types of stove tops because I just got one and they give you a cleaner for it but using things around the house are preferrable once it runs out :) thank you

Lambert October 28, 2010 | 5:39 AM

Good article Gloria. Very true about the vinegar. I find that VIM works really well to for a glass top stove.

Sara October 28, 2010 | 5:29 AM

thanks for the info! I will definately try this out next time i clean my stove top!

anonymous October 28, 2010 | 2:20 AM

I found this article very useful since I just bought a new glasstop stove. thanks