Get Connected

Gone are the days of having to sit at your computer desk to access the Internet. With the help of wireless connections, you may now access the Web from just about any point in your home. All you need to do is set up your WiFi network – no cables, cords, or plug-ins required. Our tips will help you get the most out of your WiFi at home experience.

Woman on wifi internetStep 1: Do you need WiFi?

If you have multiple computers, laptops, and people looking to access the Internet on a regular basis, WiFi is probably a good option for you. You won't have to worry about plugging into one port, sharing one computer or having to wait for someone else to stop perusing Facebook. WiFi basically allows you to access your Internet connection from multiple computers or entertainment systems (PS3, Nintendo, Xbox, etc.) at any given time.

Step 2: Hook up your wireless router

Plug your wireless router into your Internet modem. A good test to make sure that you have a strong wireless signal is to use a laptop and try to pick up the signal from all areas in your home (including outside) from where you may wish to access the Internet. If the signal is weak, try to move the router to a more open space.

Step 3: Change your settings

Once you have the router all set to go, open an Internet browser and set up your security names and passwords. This will prevent other users from "piggybacking" on your wireless connection, so be sure to pick tough to guess usernames and passwords.

Step 4: Test out the connection

Once you have your configurations and passwords all set, test the connection throughout your home.

Step 5: Connect your entertainment systems to your WiFi

One of the greatest things about video game and entertainment systems now is the ability to connect online and play with others. Once you have your WiFi set for your home, turn on your gaming system, make sure the network adapter is active and that wireless abilities are on your system. Next, for most systems, look under settings and select Internet Connection. Select the wireless settings and the system will ask you for the network name (or the SSID) then instruct you to type in your password.

More tech savvy how-tos

Comments

Comments on "How to set up WiFi in your home"

margaret February 03, 2014 | 11:15 AM

Ineed WiFi to register my Hudl.Can you tell me how I should go about doing this.Do I need a separate modem and router.Please help.

Rodger January 21, 2014 | 1:24 PM

My Wifi Wont Work!!!!!!!!! The Routers Broke i think.. my daughter thought it would be good to SEE How fast it could fly down the stairs....... ive been on to bt, COMPLAINING about there Rubbish Router.. There Giving me a new router... so does any1 want to buy a old router from me? Few Scruff marks, Dints and Cracks but apart from the duff power supply it works fine.

CW Kavela December 29, 2013 | 1:18 AM

Am struggling to download and install wi fi on my nokia asha 202. What can i do?

Virginia December 12, 2013 | 3:45 AM

I have a wifi network a friend hooked up for me three years ago. She is gone now, and I only have her written notes. She has a couple of passwords written down, but none of them work. My question is, my network keeps asking me to buy "Network Magic". Is it possible that, because I did not buy that, that the network won't work?

Ruth December 05, 2013 | 12:15 AM

I live in a pretty old house with cob walls. Past experience with Wifi several years ago meant that signal reception was limited to non-existent. So, I have had for ten years, a desktop computer linked into to a Broadband landline. If however, I want to try Wifi again with an Android Tablet to use in another room, does anyone know if this can be worked independently? Or does it have to be connected (somehow) to the current land system?

Diana November 10, 2013 | 12:56 PM

I live in the country...have a desk computer, and to get the internet, I rent a modem from US Cellular. My phone is a flip type...no internet. My question: if I have a wireless router, will that help me get wifi? I have an i pad that's still in the box, because I can't use it withour wifi. Is there hope for me?

teddy November 09, 2013 | 5:51 PM

im new to all this wifi and things how do i go about and get wifi access in my home?

Ann October 16, 2013 | 7:44 AM

I have wifi on my computer but cannot remember password?

melissa fugate October 10, 2013 | 2:09 PM

did not help at all easier explanation please

Anees Ahmadi August 17, 2013 | 5:55 AM

do we need to have a seperate wifi connection

wendy June 06, 2013 | 11:14 AM

My question is I'm trying to access Wi-Fi in my home what do I need to subscribe to for use on my iPhone and galaxy phones do I need a separate modem and router. Please help!

jeffrey April 17, 2013 | 5:21 AM

So basically you need internet in your house if you want to have wifi in your house is that it ???????? And can you also tell me how i can choose the best router for my wifi.

Stanley Johnson April 03, 2013 | 12:05 PM

Im having a bit of problem to get wi fi connected on my iPhones 4 any help would be appreciate