Even if it's a little late in the season to have a scarecrow protecting your garden, it's a perfect time to make a scarecrow for outdoor fall decorating.
Even if it's a little late in the season to have a scarecrow protecting your garden, it's a perfect time to make a scarecrow
for outdoor fall decorating.
Everyone knows the scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz
, so it's easy to see how some straw and old clothes can be the basic ingredients for an attractive scarecrow. But going with the standard method can be boring. Here are a few ideas on how to make original garden scarecrows to set the stage for autumn.
- Make a family of scarecrows including parents and children.
- Try professional scarecrows, like nurses, mechanics, firefighters or chefs.
- Don't limit yourself to human forms. Make scarecrow animals for a faux petting zoo.
- Give your scarecrows a wheelbarrow and other garden tools to make them gardeners.
- The clothes make the scarecrow. Go traditional with jeans and plaid, or have some fun with formal wear or workout attire.
- Position your scarecrows in active poses instead of the "at attention" guard stance. Heavy (flexible) wire through their clothes can allow you to pose them.
Have fun making scarecrows