As a side dish
for your Memorial Day
BBQ, garden vegetable kebabs
are a perfect choice to throw on the grill with your hamburgers, hot dogs and ribs. Use indirect heat to grill the vegetables without burning the outsides.
From the garden (or farmer's market) pick:
- 2 ears corn-on-the-cob, husked and cut into 3 pieces each
- 3 small zucchini or yellow squash, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 12 large fresh mushroom caps
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cherry tomatoes
Boil the corn for about five minutes to get it tender--it takes longer to cook on the grill than the other summer vegetables. Prepare the grill for grilling over indirect heat. Slide the vegetables onto metal skewers, alternating as desired to make an attractive arrangement. Brush the veggie kebabs
with butter and lemon juice and place skewers on the grill away from the flame. Grill over indirect heat for about 15 minutes, basting occasionally.