Whether you're downsizing or simply growing out of your current space, storage solutions are the key to making it work. But boxes and bins only go so far. Take your storage needs on an undercover mission! We'll show you nine stealthy storage options to keep clutter out of sight and out of mind.
Storage in the center of a room? If you think it can't be done, take a look at our favorite double-duty options for your home. Whether you need a place for the kids' toys or to keep an extra throw, these handy options will get the job done!
- The rustic storage coffee table from West Elm offers a storage compartment large enough to hold your laptop, board games, books and even the remote. Plus, the extending surface creates a perfect little workstation or casual dining table. (Rustic storage coffee table, West Elm, $499)
- Toys can easily clutter a room, but this impressive coffee table from Ikea doubles as a toy chest. Bring the toys out when it's time to play, then tuck them inside when the company arrives for dinner. It's the best of both worlds! (Stuva bench with storage box, Ikea, $99)
- Give yourself a comfy place to kick up your feet, as well as a clever storage option. This multifunctional storage option also provides extra seating, which makes it a flexible option for large families or entertaining. (Safavieh charcoal round ottoman, Lowe's, $155)
When square footage is hard to come by, storage is needed wherever possible. Is your bed wasting valuable storage space? These ingenious bed designs offer both storage and comfort. Use them in your home to create an instant guest room, or to free up some space in the closet.
- Daybeds are the perfect solution for small spaces that sleep large crowds. Use them in the kids' rooms to make hosting slumber parties a breeze. Place a daybed in the den to create a cozy sitting area and back-up guest bedroom all in one. We love the Ikea Hemnes daybed for its three-drawer storage and its ability to expand to sleep two. (Hemnes daybed with 3 drawers, Ikea, $399)
- If you need flexible options to sleep guests, a Murphy bed may be just the solution. These beds are hidden within a large piece of cabinetry, which helps them fit seamlessly in any room. Simply pull the bed down anytime you need an extra sleeping area, and then tuck it away when your company has returned home. We recommend MBW Furniture's Murphy twin fold-up bed for its modern style and built-in wardrobe. (MBW Furniture, Murphy bed, $2,205)
- Put the space beneath your bed to good use with this storage platform from West Elm. Use the built-in cubbies as a bookcase, or use baskets to turn them into drawers. Either way, you'll have convenient storage right where you need it most. (Sylvan storage bed, West Elm, $700)
Odds and ends
Storage isn't limited to just cabinets and shelves — your home has several odds and ends to look after, too. These items are the ones you use most, which means they need to be readily accessible whenever you need them. Use these clever storage products for practical storage solutions for your favorite things.
- Is it a shirt, or is it a bag? This pretty, ruffled laundry bag from Urban Outfitters blends right in with the items in your closet. No need for bulky laundry baskets that take up space. Simply hang this bag along with your clothes. Then, when it's laundry time, you have a stylish way to transport loads to and from the laundry room. (Ruffled laundry bag, Urban Outfitters, $39)
- Storage throughout your home can also serve as home decor itself. These cargo storage containers from CB2 are playful pieces to include within your accessory styling. Place them on a table near the garage door for a convenient place to store the car keys, or in the bathroom to hold cotton balls, Q-tips, nail polish and other small items. (Cargo storage containers/set of two, CB2.com, $30)
- Keep the Kleenex ready, and on hand. Urban Outfitters' fashionable storage container for tissues can be front and center with your home's decor. Bring on girls' night and a good-hearted chick flick! You'll have what you need to dry any tears that may fall. (Casa tissue box cover, Urban Outfitters, $8)
More organization tips
5 Organization tips for every room in your house
10-Minute home cleaning tips
10 Must-have products to organize your kitchen