For Holiday Decor
Sure, you could decorate this holiday season with traditional colors like green, red, silver and gold, but why not try something different? This season brings us new and varied colors, some traditional and others a refreshing surprise. Here's what's new this year in color combinations for holiday decorations.
Winter wonderland colors
A cool color mixture of white, silver and ice blue gives the look and feel of a frosty winter wonderland. Antique silver or mercury accent pieces and clear glass create reflective surfaces, while the white and ice-blue pieces add solid shapes. Add plenty of white candles in glass bowls and hurricane lamps to bring warmth to your otherwise wintry room.
- Arrange antique silver candlesticks, bowls or vases among clear glass hurricane lamps on table settings, coffee tables and mantels. Mix in a mercury glass piece for texture.
- Use silver chargers under white china dishes, clear glass goblets and silver napkin rings to set your table. Try ice-blue napkins to add a pop of color.
- Decorate your tree with silver, white, clear glass and ice-blue ornaments. Run a silver and white ribbon through the pine garland on the mantel. Place a large glass vase filled with ice crystal branches for a crisp, chilled look.
- Make and display a lighted wreath of white paper doilies like this one by Martha Stewart.
Rustic, natural decor
An old-fashioned, down-home holiday means bringing out the homemade decorations, trimming the tree with strings of cranberries and popcorn, and hanging hand-decorated muslin stockings on the mantel. A rustic decor consists of natural colors such as berry red, forest green, red or green plaids and creams. Add charm with hand-stitched star, bell and heart tree ornaments made of burlap and plaid.
- Cover the banister or mantel with natural pine garland, and attach pine cones and red velvet or plaid ribbons.
- Group together red and cream candles on wooden holders as a dinner table or coffee table centerpiece.
- Arrange red, green or silver tin stars or hearts of varying sizes on the wall over the fireplace or near the tree.
- Toss around plaid accent pillows or a forest green velour throw on the sofa and chairs for a warm country touch.
Pretty in pink: A rosy holiday look
Pink is the new red this holiday season, and you'll see it in table settings, ornaments and even trees. Mixing cotton-candy pink, purple, gold and silver brings a sense of wintry magic in a whimsical way. Go all the way with the sugary pink tree; if you're not that bold, use a white tree and decorate it in pink and purple. However you use these colors, you will be enchanted by their fairy tale-like magic.
- Decorate your holiday table with simple silver chargers and white china on a glittery silver tablecloth. String pink and white ribbon down the middle with silver, pink and purple glass ornaments at intervals for your centerpiece.
- Place pink candles in glass bowls and holders or on metallic silver holders. Tie gold and silver ribbons on banister railings.
- Trim the tree with pink, white, purple, gold and silver ornaments. Even a traditional evergreen tree can sport this soft, pink look.
Turn up the magic with turquoise
Take a twist on traditional blue: Decorate with a rich turquoise, blue and aqua. Blend in silver and pearl to offset the varied blue tones.
- A white flocked tree is dazzling with turquoise, silver and aqua ribbons and glass ornaments.
- Your holiday table will shine with pearl-white china and a turquoise tablecloth and napkins for a cool, elegant look like this one by Better Homes and Gardens.
- Place turquoise, aqua, blue and pearl-white ornaments on a mirrored serving tray and use as a centerpiece for your coffee table.
- String faux pearl and turquoise beads to make jeweled garlands for your mantel, banister or tree.
- Wrap turquoise or aqua satin accent pillows with silver or white ribbon to give the look of luscious holiday gifts; scatter them around on the sofa and chairs.
More home decor ideas
Creating a mirror accent wall
5 Fresh takes on Christmas decorations
6 Ways to decorate green for Christmas