3 Fireplace Makeovers

Whether you have a fireplace that doesn't work (or hasn't been used in decades), you just don't care to use it or you're looking for something fun to do with this space during the warmer months, you'll love these fireplace alternatives! Here are three ways to put that empty fireplace to use.

Empty fireplace with candles

Bust out the paint for a colorful makeover

It's not an easy task, but painting the inside of your unused fireplace a fun color to add a pop in the room is a great way to move it from boring to interesting. Prepping the fireplace for paint is the trickiest part -- especially if the fireplace has been used heavily in the past. You're going to have to really scrub and clean the brick to make sure all of the soot is removed, which will allow the paint to stick. Even though you may not be using this as a fireplace right now, you'll still want to use a high-temperature paint inside of your fireplace to make sure it is safe to use in the future, just in case you change your mind.

Follow these easy 7 Painting tips to pretty up your home >>

Fill up the empty space with something interesting

Quit letting that unused fireplace be just a waste of space in your home and put it to use by filling it up with something decorative. Try filling it from top to bottom with all those old books collecting dust in your closet -- stack them in all different directions to make sure they fit tightly in the space -- or pick up cool vintage books at a local used bookstore for a fun look.

To give your fireplace a woodsy look, fill it up with pretty logs that will make you feel like your home is a cozy ski cottage in the mountains. Pick logs that are small and round so that the firewood stacked in your fireplace looks like decor, not just a spot to stash your extra timber.

Not into books or logs? Pick something you find meaningful or something that fits with the current decor of your home -- and fill up your fireplace!

Have you ever considered putting in a kitchen fireplace? >>

Make your fireplace glow with candles

If you aren't using your fireplace because you aren't into all the mess of building a fire, but you still love that warm glow that a fireplace produces, try filling up your fireplace with candles instead of wood. You can buy scentless pillar candles for not much money; for the best effect, we suggest filling your empty fireplace with as many candles as you can, in varying sizes and heights. Light them to give the same pretty warm glow that a fire in your fireplace would, but without the hassle of tending a real fire!

Check out these homemade candles from Etsy >>

More on fireplaces

Fall decorating ideas for your fireplace mantel
Spice up your fireplace
How to modernize your old fireplace

Comments

Comments on "Get creative with your empty fireplace"

Tammy Leyva March 13, 2013 | 4:11 PM

I have my t.v. in my fireplace!

Chloe February 22, 2013 | 3:51 PM

I have large clear vases and put white Christmas light in the vases....nice glow!

gina January 21, 2013 | 12:43 PM

I like using candles. Real fireplaces are nice but they can get messy and be dangerous if you have little kids.

Tina December 29, 2012 | 2:26 PM

I just got a fake electric fireplace as well and we LOVE it! It works as a heater, too, so it keeps the main room nice and warm while giving off a nice ambiance and look.

Karen December 11, 2012 | 7:21 AM

I got one of those fake electric log sets and it gives it a cozy look

Erin September 05, 2012 | 11:44 AM

I live in Arizona, so 10 months out of the year it's just too hot to have an actual fire burning. But I absolutely love the look and cozy vibe that they provide. I've been known to put candles in it instead and light all of them while watching a movie. It's very relaxing!

Yvonne June 05, 2012 | 4:03 PM

These are so creative and clever. I have seen a couple really great ideas on Pinterest for home owners that are not high up in the snowy mountains and have no clue what to do with their unused fireplace. I really like the candle idea, and during the holidays, I have seen people get very creative. For Halloween as example, they place decorated pumpkins that are either painted with glitter or bejeweled to give the room a little decor. Around Christmas time, I’ve seen people put Christmas Trees as if it were going up the chimney as if the Grinch were taking it with him. Since I am moving to a place with a fireplace and living in Arizona, we will barely get any use from the fireplace. Since we plan on holding a ton of gatherings over the holiday seasons, what better way to make use of our small town home by decorating the fireplace?! I also love the idea people do sometimes of flooding the fireplace with all different sizes of candles. It would be really cute to add fake snow around the candles and a wreath hanging above during the winter season! Who would’ve thought something so plain could be decorated in so many different ways?!

jim May 26, 2012 | 7:43 AM

I would put plants and candles off to the side but far enough to where there would not danger fire in the plants. it would be more for appearance than use