Personalize Your Rented Space

Not everyone owns a home of their own, but anyone can own their own personal decorating style. Art.com shared these simple tricks on how to decorate a rented space with SheKnows.

With these tips you can make your rented living space feel both larger and more like home without breaking the bank. Follow these tips and find simple tricks on how to decorate or refresh your rented space:

1. Mirrors

Instantly expand any room with a mirror. Not only will mirrors make your home feel larger than it is, but they are reasonably priced. They can also be custom framed to add a unique look to your home decor. Mirrors can be easily hung and repositioned without making permanent alterations to your walls.

(Above image provided by Art.com -- The Tree of Life, Stoclet Frieze, c. 1909 with mirrors.)

2. Avoid Clutter

Small spaces fill up quickly. Use oversized hand-painted canvas art on an open wall space instead of multiple smaller pieces to trick the eye into thinking the space is bigger than originally perceived.

3. Lighten Up

Paint walls with a light color and use sheer window coverings to invite the sunshine in and create a spacious and relaxing environment. Your favorite picture or print will show up much better, too.

Up Next: Wall decals and color

Continue »

Tags: rented space

Comments

Comments on "5 Tips to decorate a rented space"

Katie January 21, 2013 | 12:47 PM

My advice is to not spend a ton of money. The stuff may not look right in your next rental or the next home you own. Make it cozy and cute without spending a fortune!

Erin December 29, 2012 | 2:31 PM

I'm so thankful I no longer rent! I love owning a home and feel like I don't have to "wait" to decorate. It's finally a place to call my own. I used to never fully decorate when I rented because I'd spend money on things I might not use once I owned a place.

Hannah September 30, 2012 | 9:07 PM

Ahh it's just so hard for me to be motivated to fully decorate something I'm renting, but this article offered some very helpful tips. Definitely avoid clutter!! Especially because at some point you're going to have to take everything down and move it, haha.

Tina September 05, 2012 | 11:37 AM

After renting an apartment for years, I know it can be hard to decorate such a small space. Mirrors definitely make an space feel larger, so I always hung one large one in the main room and another in the bedroom or hallway. I like all these tips - thank you!

Yi-Fan May 21, 2012 | 12:09 PM

I love the idea on how to decorating the room. I think I can use it as an inspiration to redecorated my room.

edgar March 17, 2010 | 9:32 AM

nice design but i need design for inner new house partition. hope i can receive. the area is 40 sqare meter. thanks