Stephen Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People famously said, "The key is in not spending time, but investing it." This week we're trying to shorten the amount of time you spend doing chores in the kitchen so you can "invest" that extra time on yourself or with your family.
If you haven't discovered the wonderful world of slow cookers, then you're going to love this. A slow cooker basically cooks your food unattended while you're out and about, at work, doing other chores or even just relaxing in front of the TV. The prep time is minimal: All you have to do is chop up some vegetables, add your spices and throw in your protein (thawed or frozen).
My favourite recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- 5–7 red skin potatoes
- Chopped carrots and onions (or frozen or canned vegetables)
- Seasoning of your choice
- 1/2 cup water
- Rinse the chicken, and place it in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle seasoning onto the chicken.
- Add vegetables and water.
- Place the lid onto the cooker, and set it to low heat.
- Let cook for 5–7 hours (depending on whether the chicken was frozen or fresh).
We like slow cookers because...
- They're energy efficient, using less electricity than your stove or oven.
- They're great for healthy cooking, as there's no need to add grease or oil to most recipes.
- You can make multiple meals at once. A 4-1/2-pound chicken or two 2-1/2-pound roasts go a long way! And having ready-cooked meals for the week ahead translates into less money spent on fast food, eating out and snacks.
- You can give budget cuts of meat a gourmet makeover. Tough meat + slow cooking = tender meat.
Skip all that time defrosting meat, preparing sides and slaving away over the stove. Throw them all into a slow cooker instead, and be like mom blogger Janell, who put together five Crock-Pot meals in one hour!
Do you have any time-saving tips for the kitchen you'd like to share? Tell us in the comments box below!
More cooking tips
Hey, moms! 4 Simple tips to cut your kitchen work in half
Kitchen and cooking tips and tricks
Kitchen gadgets to splurge on