Skip the same gifts you buy year after year and get crafty this Mother’s Day! Your mom will appreciate the extra thought, hard work and creativity put into your project -- and will likely cherish it way more than another generic picture frame.
Recycled no-sew T-shirt scarf
Grab your husband’s old T-shirt or hit the local thrift stores and stock up on cheap, colorful cotton shirts. This homemade no-sew scarf takes 15 to 20 minutes to make, and the best part is there’s no sewing required.
Photo courtesy of the TheDIYDish.com
- Extra-large cotton T-shirt
- 9-inch paper plate
- Place your T-shirt on a flat surface.
- Cut the shirt down one side seam.
- Open the shirt, lay flat.
- Trace around the paper plate 4 – 6 times on both sides of the T-shirt.
- Carefully cut around each circle.
- Cut a spiral into each circle -- starting from the outside and working towards the center, cut in a circular motion.
- Stretch each spiral lengthwise.
- Lay all the pieces together.
- To keep the scarf tidy and ready for gifting, tie a knot in the center.
- Add a brooch to add depth and color.
Homemade lavender body and bath scrub
Give your mom the gift of relaxation this Mother’s Day. Use all-natural oils and ingredients or combine ready-made body oils to make an easy mix perfect for pampering Mom.
- 1 cup olive oil or body oil
- 2 cups sea salt
- Lavender to scent to the desired amount
- 12-ounce Mason jar with lid
- Mix sea salt and olive oil or body oil.
- Stir in lavender or other fragrant flower.
- Place in Mason jar.
- With the ribbon, tie a bow around the jar.
Tip: You can blend the mixture on a low speed in a blender to get a finer texture.
Silhouette pictures are once again becoming a trendy way to display family art -- and a great way to capture images of grandchildren, children and other family members. In just a few simple steps you can create a keepsake that will last a lifetime.
- Cardstock paper
- Digital camera
- Computer and printer
- Black paint
- Soft paintbrush
- Double-sided tape
- Wax paper
- Place your subject in front of a black or dark, flat surface, facing sideways.
- At eye level, take a profile picture of your subject.
- Upload the picture to your computer and make any size changes, depending on the size frame you will be using.
- Print the picture on cardstock.
- Carefully cut around your subject’s silhouette.
- Place your picture face-down on a piece of wax paper.
- Paint the reverse side of the picture with the black paint.
- Let dry.
- Cut a second piece of cardstock paper to fit inside your frame.
- With double-sided tape, attach the picture (black side up) to the second piece of cardstock paper.
- Insert the picture into the frame.
More Mother's Day gift ideas
Stylish gifts for Mother's Day
20 Homemade Mother's Day gifts
5 Mother's Day gift ideas for the new mom