Looking Your Best At Any Age

Sure, you know all the latest trends and best designers, but there is more to fashion than simply wearing the newest looks. Dressing for your lifestyle and age are essential to help you look your best. Fashion expert Lilliana Vazquez (seen on Bravo and The Style Network) of TypeF.com, and New York-based personal stylist, Alexandra Suzanne Greenawalt of AlexandrAStylist.com, share tips on the best fashion choices for each age group.

fashion saavy woman

20s Girl?s

Girls in their 20s are young, fabulous and on the move, making it a great time for experimentation and fashion-forward looks. Vazquez says the main fashion concern for this group is balancing fashion risks with creating a work wardrobe. "Chances are that you are on a budget too, so outfits that pull double-duty will be your BFFs," says Vazquez. She recommends wearing the fun, patterned dresses you love for weekends to the office with a cardigan or blazer -- just be careful of skirt length. And sorry girls, but Vazquez says it's time to ditch oversized sweaters, torn jeans and furry boots. However, you can replace them with classics like cardigans and pencil skirts in unique colors and patterns.

30s Women?

Greenawalt believes your 30s is a time to get more serious about your style, and to hone and refine your image. She also advises to wear clothes that fit well and make you feel confident. "I know personally in my 30s, I started to weed out miniskirts, but that was also because I didn't find them flattering to my legs. They no longer felt right," says Greenawalt. Vazquez believes your 30s is a time to keep your fashion edge in an age-appropriate way. "Now is the time to put aside the micro-minis and go with skirts that are a bit closer to the knee, especially for work. I also recommend avoiding crop tops, graphic tees or super-youthful prints. It's OK to grow up," says Vazquez. Both experts agree it's important to incorporate quality, investment pieces -- like a nice handbag or versatile dress.

40s+ Ladies

?Wearing clothes that fit naturally into your lifestyle becomes increasingly important once you've hit your 40s. Greenawalt recommends investing in quality fabrics, cuts and classic clothes that flatter your figure, while steering clear of juvenile prints and tight or revealing clothing. You can still be fashion-forward by pairing simple patterns and monochromatic dresses with the right shoe and statement jewelry. "You can get away with bigger pieces of jewelry because you exude the confidence it takes to pull these pieces off, so rock them," says Vazquez. Still have a hard time deciding what to ditch? Take Vazquez's simple tip -- get rid of clothes that came from your daughter's favorite trendy store.

10 Simple ways for a fabulous new you
Star style: Hollywood-inspired fashion
2012's Most daring fashion finds

Comments

Comments on "Dress age-appropriate this year"

patti April 25, 2013 | 3:00 PM

Peggy, Just reading your comment. We women over 60 ROCK!! I'm with you. As for me, I wear COLORS COLORS, COLORS and people always are complementing me. Be bold. We've earned the right to make any statement we choose and set our OWN trends. Yea, Go 60's and over ( I'll be 68 this year!) and working on being SENSATIONAL at 70!

peggy foglia March 02, 2012 | 8:18 AM

What happened to the 60 and older group. We love our fashion. Retired and now what for makeup,hair and fashion?

Nitzey February 23, 2012 | 2:40 PM

Hello, I am 26 years old and just lost close to 15 lbs! I would love to know what is in and be able to shop on a budget(important). However I am completly lost in what fits my body I am 5'3 with midium frame and love to look professional. Although I enjoy looking great; casual clothing helps since im on the go with a three year old daughter.I am studying Child Development and will start as a translator/ interpreter. I love high heels and y oufits too, so what can I do to combine all this together?

Amanda February 14, 2012 | 11:39 AM

I am 5'9" and weigh 132 lbs. I'm a married 26 year old mother of 2. I just don't know what is appropriate for my life. Also, I'm a stay at home mom and I'm on a budget. What do you recommend for me?

Bel January 22, 2012 | 9:22 AM

I'm close to 50.. my furry white boots??? Keeping them.

Bonnie Lou January 21, 2012 | 8:31 AM

I am a plus size woman 1x...My age is 49..but I feel 30...I have large breast and buldging stomache...I like to find blouses that a tad bit long in the front to hid my belly...I tried wearing a belt as I see..magazines say to do...I have never had a female help me with clothing...no mom..sister...etc..my personality is awsome...guys tend to come to me..but me being 1x and dont feel like I am choosng the correct clothes...can someone dress ME?????

Cara January 17, 2012 | 6:44 AM

Of course our style evolves as we grow and change. When I started college in the mid-'90s, I was wearing the flannel shirts and the clunky shoes (why did we think that look was so wonderfu........oh, right, grunge music) and when I graduated college and got my first job teaching high school, I was told (by my supervisor at that job) to take into consideration the fact that the kids I would be teaching were, in some cases, almost as old as I was, & to dress in as grown up and as conservative a manner as possible to convey that I was an adult and an authority figure. So I went out and bought a bunch of tailored suits (pants suits, skirt suits, I went nuts in the suit department at Macy's) and swapped out the clunky shoes for chic ankle boots. After working for a couple of years & noticing that none of my co-workers wore a suit at work, I relaxed a little bit, started wearing slacks with a nice blouse or sweater, dresses. Now I'm in my mid-30s and I've given up teaching to work as a paralegal. My office is "business casual" (with an emphasis on the casual. I could wear jeans at work every day and no one would say boo. But I like getting dressed for work, I like putting things together in creative, unexpected ways. Now I'm more about a nice pair of slacks and a blouse or sweater that's not as conservative as I would wear when working with children. I very rarely wear the ankle boots, although I still have a few pair..I'm more into pumps with a sky high heel at work. My weekend style is mostly jeans, a nice top, & either platform pumps or the ankle boots

Kelli January 04, 2012 | 8:30 AM

I will never give up oversize sweaters!