Break Bad Beauty
Habits In 2012
We all fall into poor beauty habits or outdated routines from time to time. The SheKnows editors and writers have committed to some changes for 2012. Check out our editors' beauty resolutions and make some New Year's resolutions of your own.
SheKnows Beauty Expert
- "To make sure I do not over exfoliate. With so many amazing products out there, I can get a little over zealous and use too many products that either have retinol, AHAs, lactic acid, etc. It can strip my skin, cause me to peel or inflict other damage. I am focusing on giving my skin a break in 2012! Sometimes less is more."
- "To take my own advice that sleep, water and deep breathing are vital beauty treatments and truly make a big difference!"
- "To organize my makeup -- keep all of the daytime products together, keep the night look products together, etc. It can make a big difference when I am trying to get out the door, either in the morning or to an evening event."
- "I actually have one more... and that is keeping all of my products fresh. For example, pencils sharpened at all times, eyelash curlers with fresh padding, brushes washed and ready to go at all times. Going along with this is also updating my makeup and skin care brushes. A good brush can make the biggest difference in application and blending!"
SheKnows Beauty Writer and Loving You Editor
- "Long hair. I don't care if I have to be homeless, it's going to be with hair extensions."
- "Don't be afraid to take risks. Whether it's red lips or blue eyeshadow, I want to try to do things I'm afraid of."
- "Treat my tools with respect. There's a shelf life for cosmetics -- and brushes need to be cleaned often. Somehow we keep forgetting that, and then sweep it all over our faces! I'm going to respect the items I wear as much as I'd respect those in my fridge past their shelf date."
SheKnows Home and Living Editor
- "I promise to floss my teeth once a day. Not only because oral health prevents disease, but because I want gleaming white teeth."
- "Smelling fragrant always makes me feel sexy. Problem is, I never think to put it on unless it's a special occasion. I will start spritzing on a subtle scent every morning for that added touch of confidence."
- "Everyone knows you're supposed to guzzle at least 64 ounces of water a day. What people might not know is that eight 8-ounce glasses do wonders for your skin. It helps keep your skin from drying out and gives you a healthy glow. And because water flushes out toxins, your skin appears clearer, smoother and younger. That's my goal anyway."
SheKnows Beauty Assigning Editor
- "I resolve to be a bit more experimental with my makeup this year! I tend to go for a very natural look and would love to play with some more fun looks this year."
- "I will continue to educate myself on the safety of my beauty products. I'm a huge fan of natural/organic beauty, and know how important it is to be aware of what's in the products I use, and I'd love to become even more ingredient-savvy!"
- "I promise to use a face mask at least once a week! While this is something I typically try to do anyway, I sometimes get a little lazy. This year, I'd like to set up a weekly schedule for skin pampering."
SheKnows Love Writer
- "I will get my bangs cut more often. For me, it's tempting to let my bangs grow out until my next cut, but trimming my bangs more often is a must in 2012. I recently started leaving my bangs straight rather than sweeping them to the side, which is so much fun (I feel like 1980s model Paulina Porizkova), but I need to keep 'em looking freshly chopped. As for me snipping them myself? I'm worse than a kindergartner with safety scissors. Technique suggestions welcome!"
- "I live in New York City, and there are basically two (inexpensive!) nail salons on every block, but sometimes I don't have the time to duck into one for a quick mani. This year I'd like to keep my nails painted more often than not, even if I do them myself at home at the end of the day. I'm a huge nail polish junkie, so I want to experiment with more colors."
- "I resolve to work out three times a week. I say exercise definitely falls into the 'beauty' category because of how great it makes you feel and look -- even if feeling sexier is psychological! I've recently been going to SoulCycle for fun, high-energy spinning classes set to fantastic music. And I've been doing Pilates regularly. If I can keep that up and add in a day of cardio at the gym, I'll be good to go!"
SheKnows Beauty Writer
- "I have very dry skin, especially in the winter. I always forget to include a great moisturizer into my morning routine, but this year it will be my staple. Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream will hydrate my skin and leave it silky smooth all day long. Sign me up!"
- "Lip balm is one of my absolute necessities. I carry two in my bag and have at least one in every room of my house. (Clearly, I'm obsessed.) I always tend to use the same balm, but I've decided to branch out this year. I'm really excited to try Yes To Pomegranate Lip Butter with SPF 15. The flavor alone may become my new obsession. Plus, it's easy to find at any major drugstore.
- "I'm constantly on the go and may not always have time to wash my hair before an event or fashion show. Instead of going unwashed (shhh... don't tell anyone), I'm going to try the Batiste Dry Shampoo to make every routine of mine quick and easy.
SheKnows Managing Editor
- "I am going to get better about throwing away expired beauty products. Everyone knows that old makeup and skin care products can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Who wants that on their face?"
- "No matter how tired I am, I am going to stop going to bed with my makeup on. Makeup cleansing cloths are so convenient that I don't have any excuse."
- "I resolve to stop picking at my nail polish. Chipped nail polish is so tacky!"
What are your beauty resolutions for the new year? Share in the comments section below!
More about beauty resolutions
5 New Year's beauty resolutions
Top 8 beauty resolutions
5 Bad habits that age you