1 pound high-quality white bread -- sliced
Milk or water -- for soaking
4 pounds potatoes
6 tablespoons butter -- softened
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot milk
6 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
2 cups onion -- finely chopped
2 cups celery -- finely chopped
2 eggs -- lightly beaten
1 handful celery leaves -- chopped
1/2 cup parsley -- chopped
1. Soak the bread slices in a deep bowl of milk or water for 15 minutes. Lift them out by the handful and squeeze the liquid out. Tear the bread into small pieces.
2. Peel the potatoes, cover with salted water, bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes. Drain. Then add the butter, salt and hot milk, and whip to mashed consistency.
3. Melt the bacon grease in a large skillet, add the onion and celery, and saute until soft. Stir in the squeezed bread, then combine with mashed potatoes.
4. Add eggs, celery, parsley and pepper.
5. Put mixture into buttered casserole dish. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 or 40 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. Baste with turkey drippings, if desired.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!