You will need
- 1 round paper mache trinket box with lid
- ½ sheet orange felt
- Crackle medium (or try our homemade mixture below)
- Acrylic craft paint on orange, black and yellow
- Angular paint brush
- Regular paint brush
- White craft glue
- Acrylic sealer spray
What you do
Note: If you don't have any crackle medium (available at your local craft store) you can make your own by thinning white craft glue with a little water. Crackle medium produces more crackle, but this mixture works well also. This project was created with the homemade crackle mixture rather than store bought.
- Use the paper mache box to trace a circle onto the orange felt. Use it also to measure how the inside of the box sides, height and width. Cut those pieces from the felt and set aside.
- Paint the entire box and lid black. Allow to dry completely.
- Use paintbrush to apply a light coat of the glue mixture or crackle medium over the black base coat of the box itself and just the top of the lid. While the glue is still slightly wet, brush on your top coat of orange paint. Do this lightly and in one direction only, do not put on more than one coat. Allow this to dry completely.
- Once the orange paint is dry, you should now have an orange surface with cracks running through it, showing your black base color underneath.
- Paint on eyes, nose and mouth with yellow paint and let dry.
- Squeeze a puddle of black paint onto a plate or palette, about the size of a penny.
- Use angular brush to float the edges of the eyes, nose, and mouth and to add a few lines down the sides of the pumpkin. To float (shade) the edges, wet your brush with water, touch to a paper towel to remove excess, but don't dry it. Side load your brush by touching one edge of the brush against the puddle of paint, stroke the brush back and forth until you see a soft gradation of color from the paint on one side and the clear water on the other.
- Using the orange felt lining that your cut earlier, glue the circle into the bottom of the box and the strip around the inside edge. Trim where needed.
- Spray entire box and lid with acrylic sealer spray and let dry completely.
More Halloween craft ideas
Haunted Halloween wreath craft
Halloween Boo Boxes craft
Flying Bats Halloween craft