Dig In, Dad!
You know what they say: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. And nothing will touch Dad's heart this Father's Day like some scrumptious summertime desserts. A freshly baked homemade sweet treat is the ideal way to show Dad how much you appreciate him. Here we offer a few simple and delicious recipes that will make him feel like a king this Father's Day.
Super-simple peach cobbler
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a deep 2-quart baking dish and place in oven just to melt. Do not let it brown or burn.
2. In a medium bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Stir in milk, a little at a time, until wholly incorporated. Pour carefully over melted butter in dish. Spoon peaches and syrup over batter.
3. Bake in preheated oven 35 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden and puffy.
To-die-for buttermilk pie
1-1/2 cups sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray cooking spray on a 9-inch pie dish.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend for 1 minute with a mixer.
3. Pour mixture into the pie dish and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in the center of the pie.
4. Let cool. Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or both!
Mixed berry crumble
6 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries such as sliced strawberries and whole blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine berries, lemon or orange juice, 6 of the 8 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Transfer mixture to a 2-quart baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine remaining flour and sugar along with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix in butter until crumbly, then stir in the walnuts.
4. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the fruit mixture. Bake for about 40 minutes or until top is brown and fruit mixture is bubbling.
5. Let cool. Serve warm with ice cream or at room temperature.