Twiggy pen and pencil holder
ZiggityZoom.com gives us a great way for Dad to organize his pens, pencils and highlighters all together on his desk. By taking some twigs from the yard and some household items, this rugged-looking piece is sure to be a hit!
- Skinny twigs from the yard
- Three toilet paper tubes
- Craft glue (tacky white glue works great)
- Cardboard, 5-by5-inch piece
- Yard clippers (to be used by adult or with supervision)
- Cut toilet paper tubes to three different lengths. We cut off 1/2 inch, 1 inch, and 1-1/2 inches from our tubes.
- Glue tubes together, so that all tube bottoms are level. Let dry thoroughly.
- Cut a thin strip of cardboard or a straw to the height of each tube. This will be your guide to the lengths of twigs you need.
- Cut twigs to length of your guide, plus some that are a little longer. (Cutting should be done by supervising adult or older child with supervision.) This will give you a more random, rustic look. Keep sizes separated for each tube; this will make it easier once you start gluing. Wipe off twigs with a damp cloth to remove any dirt.
- Starting with the shortest tube, apply glue sparingly to a section. Press twigs into place and continue around tube. Let dry for a bit before starting next tube. Do the next two tubes in the same manner.
- For the tops of the "inner parts" of tubes, cut short lengths of twigs to glue and finish off. Let dry.
- Cut the bottom of your holder. Set the twig holder on top of the 5-by-5-inch piece of cardboard. Trace around the entire piece. Cut bottom a little smaller than your outline. Glue to bottom of holder.
On the next page, learn how to make a birdfeeder.