What can you give to the mother who has everything? By thinking outside the box and making some special treats, you're sure to give her a smile this Mother's Day. Crafts aren't just for kids, after all. Adults may find that these crafts are fun and easy — and can take family bonding to a whole new level!
Girls love chocolate and flowers, so a brownie bouquet is the perfect way to show Mom you love her. Wilton Industries, Inc., a company that's all about celebrating events, offers up their recipe and instructions for a yummy group of spring petals that is sure to brighten any mom's day. After all, chocolate always makes everything better!
What you need:
Pan (silicone blossom brownie pops mold)
Cake decorating bag with number 5 tip
Jumbo confetti sprinkle decorations
Brownie pop sticks
Jelly spearmint leaves
5-inch flower pot or container
- Bake and cool brownies in mold supported by cookie sheet; unmold and trim to level.
- Outline petals with tip 5 in rose, blue, violet and yellow buttercream.
- Insert sticks. Cut a small slit in spearmint leaf and slide onto stick.
- Attach confetti for flower center with a dot of icing. Position craft foam and cut to fit inside container.
- Insert brownies on sticks in container.
- Curl ribbon and arrange around sticks; each brownie serves one.
Buttercream Icing Recipe
What you need:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 pound)
2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.