Mother's Day brunch menu:
- Feta, Strawberry and Almond Salad
- Chicken Salad on Croissants
- Individual Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
Feta, Strawberry and Almond Salad
1/2 package crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup strawberries, washed and sliced
1 to 2 bags prewashed spring mix
Poppy seed dressing
In a large serving bowl, toss together all ingredients, saving a few strawberry slices and the dressing for later. Add the dressing just before serving, and top each plate of salad with a few strategically placed strawberry slices.
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
3 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
3/4 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup red grapes, sliced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Tomatoes, thinly sliced
6 croissants, halved
To make chicken salad, mix the first six ingredients and refrigerate overnight. Spread an even amount of chicken salad on each croissant and top with the lettuce leaves and two thin tomato slices.
Individual Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
3 cups sliced strawberries
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 large package instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk (very cold)
1-1/2 cups angel food cake, cubed
1/2 cup blueberries
In a small bowl, sprinkle sugar over sliced strawberries and fold gently with a spoon. Cover and chill for about 1 hour.
Whisk pudding and cold milk together for about 2 to 3 minutes. Divide half of the angel food cakes among six parfait glasses, and then top each with 1/4 cup of the strawberry mixture and 3 tablespoons pudding. Layer the remaining angel food cubes, strawberries and pudding. Top each parfait with a little whipped cream, one whole strawberry and a few whole blueberries.
- Before the party, ask each guest to mail you a baby picture of herself. Make a photocopy of each picture and paste them all to a poster board. Write each guest's name on the bottom of the poster board. Invite guests to write down whom they think each person in the picture is. Collect everyone's guesses and read them aloud. Be sure to have a small gift for the winner (such as a sachet bag, a picture frame or a scented candle).
- Keep your invitation list short to encourage easy and intimate conversation. Make sure you can accommodate all guests at one table. Make place cards and give everyone an assigned seat.
- Keep your color theme simple and feminine, with tones of pale pink, butter yellow or mint green. Continue this theme into the floral centerpiece, with lots of wispy and romantic buds.
- Offer guests champagne, orange juice or a combination of both, as well as water and iced tea or lemonade. Be sure to keep an eye on everyone's drink, and refill often.
- During lunch, go around the table and ask each guest to share something about motherhood. This could be anything: a fond memory of her mother from when she was a child, her most profound moment when becoming a mother herself, or some advice from another mother that changed her life.
- Poster board/marker
- Small slips of paper
- Gift for game winner
- Floral centerpiece
- Blank card stock for name cards
- Beverages and grocery list