Classic Italian Christmas Eve Menu
Italian Christmas Appetizers
Raw Oysters and Raw Clams
Smelts (small fishes that can be fried) (recipe below)
*Updated appetizers: Crabcakes
or Oyster Shooters (recipe below)
Italian Christmas Entrees
Mussels and Macaroni
Baccala or dried salt cod (recipe below)
Linguini and Clams
*Updates entrees: Lobster Ravioli, Fried Shrimp, or Octopus Salad
Serving suggestions for Italian Christmas Eve dinner
Round the meal out with a classic antipasto of cheeses, olives, red peppers, anchovies, marinated artichoke hearts, and canned tuna.
On the side, serve sauteed spinach or escarole along with a great wine. For dessert, enjoy a classic Italian Panattone, biscotti
, or cannoli with an after dinner drink such as Sambuca or Anisette.
You can easily pick and choose the Italian Christmas recipes that sound good to you. Create your own Italian style Christmas Eve dinner and make it a deliciously new family tradition.
Italian Christmas Recipes
Makes 6 servings
2 to 3 pounds of smelts, with heads removed, washed, dried
1. Combine about a cup of flour with some salt and pepper in a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together milk and both eggs. Dip smelts in milk mixture and then dredge in flour mixture. Lay
battered smelts on a plate until oil is hot.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet until hot but not boiling. Place battered smelts in skillet in batches and cook until golden, flipping if necessary. Smelts cook quickly so keep an eye on them.
3. Remove smelts with a slotted spoon and lay on paper towels to drain. Heat more oil until all smelts are cooked. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings
1 pound center-cut skinless boneless salt cod, rinsed well
1 quart vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Place cod in a large bowl and fill with water. Soak at least 24 hours or up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Change water 2 or 3 times a day. The saltier the cod, the longer it should soak
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot until it reaches about 390 degrees F. Combine flour, salt, olive oil, water and parsley in a large bowl. Drain and dry cod and slice into thin strips.
3. Dip cod in flour mixture and then move to oil. Fry in batches until lightly browned, flipping if necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon and lay on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt to
taste. Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings
12 lime wedges
12 large oysters, in the shell
12 drops Tabasco sauce
12 drops Worcestershire sauce
Fresh ground black pepper
4 to 6 teaspoons prepared horseradish
12 drops cocktail sauce
1. Squeeze lime juice into a shot glass. Remove oyster from shell and place it in the shot glass with the oyster juices.
2. Add Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, horseradish and cocktail sauce. "Drink" oyster shooter as you would take a shot.
More delicious Christmas recipes
Classic English Christmas dinner
Stollen recipes: How to make a Christmas stollen
Top 10 Christmas food and drinks