(page 4 of 4)
Christmas Fruitcake Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 24 brownies
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped dried figs
1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
1/3 cup dried sour cherries or dried currants
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
Walnut halves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a rectangle pan with butter or cooking spray.
2. Combine 1 cup butter and chocolate in a medium pot. Heat and stir until melted. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Beat sugar and 3 eggs in a large bowl. Mix in chocolate and vanilla extract. Combine 1 cup or flour, baking powder, and salt in a second bowl.
4. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture and then stir in nuts and fruit. Pour batter into pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
5. Meanwhile, to make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together. Beat in sugar. When brownies are cooled, spread frosting on top of brownies. Top with walnut halves if desired.
More Christmas recipes
Christmas cocktail cake recipes
Top 10 Christmas food and drink recipes
Our best Christmas cookie recipes