(page 2 of 4)
Christmas fruitcake recipes
Makes 12 servings
1/8 cup chopped dried cherries
1/8 cup chopped dried mango
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried currants
2 tablespoons chopped candied citron
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup dark rum, divided
1. Soak all fruit in a 1/4 cup dark rum for at least 24 hours or for up to 3 days. Cover well and let sit in room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and grease a 6x3-inch round pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit pan and place in bottom of pan.
3. Combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl then beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 batches alternating with milk and
molasses. Mix in fruit and nuts and pour batter into pan.
4. Bake cake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Poke a few holes in the cake with a toothpick. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of rum over cake.
5. Cut a piece of cheesecloth large enough to wrap cake and soak it with 1 tablespoon of rum. Remove cake from pan and place on cheesecloth. Pour the rest of the rum over cake. Wrap cheesecloth
around cake then wrap cake in plastic wrap. Put cake in an airtight container and store for at least one week and up to a few months.
Next page…Christmas Fruitcake Muffin recipe