Looking for a new way to be crafty this holiday season? Try making your own holiday cards for friends and family.
Card Designs: Glued-on Trimmings
(1) Snowflake CardMaterials needed: Patterned cardstock, ribbons (1 wide, 1 narrow), small snowflake die cut, glitter (optional), glue, scissors, ruler, X-acto blade.
Directions: Create card base from patterned cardstock; glue wide ribbon over middle and trim excess. Glue narrow ribbon over wider ribbon. Apply glue to front of die cut, if desired, and sprinkle with glitter. When dry, glue over ribbons on card.
Product info: Patterned cardstock by Making Memories; ribbons by Midori; small snowflake die cut and crystal glitter by Paper Source.
(2) Pinecone WreathMaterials needed: Solid cardstock or premade card; patterned paper; miniature pinecones; velvet ribbon; glue; ruler; scissors or X-acto blade.
Directions: Make card from solid cardstock, if desired. Cut a square of patterned paper slightly smaller than card and glue on front of card. Arrange miniature pinecones in a wreath form and glue to card. Make a small bow from velvet ribbon and glue to front of wreath.
Product info: Solid cardstock from Paper Source; patterned paper from Anna Griffin; miniature pinecones available from craft stores; Perfect Glue 1.
(3) "Merry Christmas" Tag CardMaterials needed: Rickrack flat card; patterned cardstock; rub-on transfer words; metal-rimmed tags; green cardstock; ornament string; velvet ribbon; pencil; ruler; scissors or X-acto blade; glue.
Directions: Cut rectangle of patterned cardstock and glue over rickrack card. Trace around rectangular tag into back of patterned cardstock; cut inside of pencil line to fit inside tag. Repeat with green cardstock for round tag. Use rub-on words for paper and glue or tape to tags. Make a hole in tag and string ornament thread through. Arrange tags as desired and secure onto card with a dot of glue. Glue velvet bow on top of ornament thread.
Product info: A2 Chartreuse rickrack cards and envelopes from Paper Source; patterned cardstock, metal-rimmed tags and rub-on minis from Making Memories; velvet ribbon by Mokuba.
(4) and (6) Ornament Silhouette CardsMaterials needed: Patterned cardstock (two complementary patterns); ornament templates; printed ribbon or other decorative trim; ornament string; ruler; pencil; mini hole punch; scissors; glue.
Directions: Make card base from patterned cardstock. Trace ornament template onto cardstock and cut out; punch hole in top of ornament. Thread ornament string through hole and glue onto card. Add a dot of glue to back of ornament silhouette to secure. Embellish ornaments as desired.
Product info: Polka dot, diamond cardstock and printed ribbon from Making Memories; ornament string from craft stores; 1/8-inch mini hole punch by Fiskars.
(5) Diamond Buckle CardMaterials needed: Premade card; velvet ribbon (two different widths); rhinestone buckle; colored cardstock; rub-on transfer words or rubber stamps and ink; scissors; glue.
Directions: Thread buckle onto wider velvet ribbon. Glue smaller strips of velvet on top of ribbon. Rub word transfer onto green paper (or stamp words onto paper) and cut out with scissors. Glue ribbon to front of card and the tag just under it.
Product info: Luxe Red Dots Folded Note Card Set from Paper Source; green velvet ribbon by Mokuba; rhinestone buckle from Joyce Trimming, Inc.; Rub-On Minis from Making Memories.
(7) Joy CardMaterials needed: A variety of patterned cardstock; letter templates (made from computer font); ruler; pencil; scissors; glue.
Directions: Enlarge a font on computer to desired size and print; cut to create letter templates. Make card base from patterned cardstock. Trace letters onto different patterned papers and cut out; glue to front of card.
Product info: Patterned cardstock from Making Memories.